Backup lights - a discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oops - I guess I should have added that I have used the luxeon star - I replaced my maglite at work with one - Similar output to a mag 3D cell on wide beam, but with no "patchiness" it's a solid area of lighting - (I do a couple nights each week as a night security guard) I guess I was wondering more if anyone's used one as a dive-light yet. I'll be giving it a try on my first Scuba Night Dive next thursday night. So if nothing else I'll post how I like it then.

Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Tim

I love these:
http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?mode=4&id=55&id_modelo=226&desde=1&id_familia=1&id_subfamilia=55

May be a bit bigger than you were looking for but I love these lights (I use lumen6, the 4 is smaller). Batteries last almost forever (even when using it regularly) the switch makes it hard to turn them on accidently and they can take a beating. I really like the beam on the 6 as well as it is really strong and thats something I need in our cold, murky waters...

Hey Steven,

I picked up two from Abyss when they were clearencing all their stock. Joel is still carrying the line. They use the same proper driven bulb assembly as the Scout and are made from aluminum vs. delrin and don't have any copper strip - I assume they use the inside of light assembly itself for power conduction. I've not had any complaints with them in the 4-6 months I've been diving them. Nice beam for a halogen. As far as I know they havn't turned on at depth, or flooded.

best backup light is the ikelite PCa, my light cannon broke one week into a month long dive trip and I used the PCa for the rest of the trip, i loved it! its even brighter than most primaries, its just that the batteries don't last too long (about 1 full dive)

yeah, i like the PCa... very bright and compact... however, hard to stow on my
shoulder harness...

I just got two of the photon torpedos. I'll be getting them wet for the first time this weekend, and will let you all know how it goes.

H2Andy:
yeah, i like the PCa... very bright and compact... however, hard to stow on my
shoulder harness...

That's (some part of) why I went with the Princeton Tec Surge. Huge brightness, (comparable with a SureFire 6P) tubular format for harness rigging. Uses AAs (which I like).

The switch thing is arguable, but I haven't had any trouble, and the one-hand actuation is very nice. (I actually hardly ever unhook it from the D-ring -- I can un-tube it, actuate it, look under the ledge, and restow it, all with one hand.)

Haven't had much luck with the twist-on lights ... first one I used was a Dive Rite overpriced-Scout-wannabe. Flooded the first time I tried to use it. Sent it back, they "fixed" it and returned it to me. Flooded again on the first dive. I pitched it in the trash, where it belongs. Then I picked up a Princeton Tech Lite. Flooded on the first dive. I returned it, they replaced it. The replacement flooded on the first dive. I pitched it too. Been using the PCa for about two months now without problems ... but I want something that fits my harness a bit better. Just got a Photon Torpedo ... I'll take it for a test dive tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to use the trash barrel at the end of the dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To find the "swet spot" of a twist on light like a scout try this...

Turn the light on then unscrew it a little at a time until it's off. Then push on the face of the light with the palm of your hand. That will make it come on. Unscrew a little more and repeat untill pushing on the front of the light (fairly hard) no longer makes the light come on.

It won't come on at depth and it won't flood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom