Backup Mask - Ever Had to Use While Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What no spark plugs, gapper, timing light, snow chains, shovel, sand, extra clothing, spare tires and ePerb? Lol :)

Yes have more then the list..LOL I got tired of typing.. Like the spare prop and the Honda generator... I think you guys got my point.. :) I once changed a oil pump on the side of the road.. I did need to get a ride to the parts store for that one..

jim....

Hi
Very difficult to understand guys saying "never needed" how often have you donate reg?(octopus)? Or used line cutter?
Backup mask is same as line cutting tool, backup reg, back up lamp, doubles/stage/bailout/pony tank. It is all about your own attitude to your safety.
You neglect one point next time it will be two points and so on...
Just keep it simple - you plan safe you dive safe.
MvH
Igor

Very difficult to understand guys saying "never needed" how often have you donate reg?(octopus)? Or used line cutter?
Backup mask is same as line cutting tool, backup reg, back up lamp, doubles/stage/bailout/pony tank. It is all about your own attitude to your safety.

I have not only donated a reg - I have Buddy Breathed with an OOG diver (not my buddy) in 80 feet of water. I have used line cutters several times from freeing an anchor - yes an anchor that we could not free from the surface to cutting fishing line from my fins, BCD and oct.
To be clear a spare mask in my opinion is not the same as "cutting tool, backup reg, back up lamp, doubles/stage/bailout/pony tank." That to me is foolish talk... I stand by I have never used nor needed a spare mask and I do not carry a spare mask when I solo dive.
Your mileage may vary :)

I have also a snorkel, foldable (DAN source: Promate Trek Folding Snorkel), inside the spare mask....

I'm also proud of it ... :)

I usually don't dive solo, but I lent my spare mask to the guide when her strap broke. I was so proud of it :)

Curious did it break in or out of the water?

I have never seen a mask break in the water - I carry a spare but never bring it on my dives... I stays on the boat or in the truck.

Honestly, these are thought provoking questions. I've never had a mask strap break. I have been carrying one in my wetsuit pants. Maybe I shouldn't. I don't do much of deco diving. So if my strap breaks, I can still use my eyes until I get to the surface. The form factor is so small that I carry it and it does not bother me one bit.

So if my strap breaks, I can still use my eyes until I get to the surface. The form factor is so small that I carry it and it does not bother me one bit.

I agree with your premise of using your eyes as well as feeling how fast or slow you get to the surface. I rarely solo dive off my boat - so it is much easier for me to get back to the shore without my mask.

There is no right or wrong answer here - what is your risk tolerance and can you handle the issue of not having a mask?

I have two thigh pocket and they are always full of other things - if I put a mask in there - I risk breaking it because I have spools or metal flashlightsl that could impact (break) the mask. I choose not to carry a spare mask based on my experience and risk tolerance.

If I thought I could carry a spare mask and not break it and it did not prevent me from carrying other equipment - I think I would carry one.

Understand your point Basking Ridge Diver.

Back
Top Bottom