• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Backwards Kick

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Zef, Oct 17, 2019.

1. BlueTrin

BlueTrin DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    One thing really useful I was taught during my last class is that you can use the tilt of your head to change the direction you will back kick either more upwards or downwards.

Dark Wolf, laikabear and lowviz like this.
  2. Zef

Zef Divemaster

I found the aspect that had the most profound impact on my backwards kick was the notion of relaxing and ensuring I was fairly horizontal between kicks as a means to setup for the next kick...it is something that was presented in the first video I posted above.

The 2nd aspect that helped was the recommendation to position the fins together in a "V" before extending the legs...that helped me immensely.

-Z

Dark Wolf, lowviz and BlueTrin like this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Yes, Steve had us do the V. And you must be horizontal for back kick to work. Period.

4. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

Yeah, and get the knees back where they belong, reset your fins, chill, and check if you are bending at the waist before you "V" and take the next stroke. I like Steve's "reset" step.

5. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, I think the Deep 6 Eddy fins are similar also.
    I hated my ill-fitting Jetfins and Mares Avanti Quattros, which both gave me shin pain and leg fatigue.
    I got the UTD Precision Neutral fins 6 years ago and my search was over. AG cut the spring straps shorter for my small feet before shipping them and they fit perfectly and maneuver so easily in the water.

A lot of these newer fins are better fitting, more ergonomic, and more conducive to precise movements than Jetfins.

lowviz likes this.
  6. Marie13

I just got a pair of Jetfins. Holy crap the spring straps are so freaking stiff that I didn’t have the hand strength to get them onto my heels. Buddy had to do it. I’ll have to stretch them over the winter. Had wanted something heavier for my doubles, but dang. Back to my Deep6 fins.

7. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

I agree.

Have you tried / what is your impression of the new neutral Dive Rite fins? I find that they come closest to a great compromise. And that includes a decent back kick.

8. Marie13

What new ones? Or do you just mean the most recent model? Their website says nothing about a new fin.

9. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

I have not tried the Dive Rite updated XT fins (or the old Slipstreams), so I can't say for sure, but the length is probably too long and there isn't much of a sidewall. Both of those make a less efficient fin, especially for backfinning.

You'd probably be better off with any of the well recommended fins above.

Wait, what is the compromise?

10. Ayisha

Ayisha DIR Practitioner

Yeah, the spring straps will stretch a little fairly quickly probably, then settle.
    Still, a heavier version of a more ergonomic fin might be a better choice.
    The UTD Precision *Negative* fins are the same size, shape and weight as the Jetfin but with a deeper, more comfortable foot pocket.