Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Training for some of those scenarios works well without the need to carry extra gear. Cupping air on your brow allows you to see clearly temporarily. It takes a little practice but is a valuable tool.

Training for some of those scenarios works well without the need to carry extra gear. Cupping air on your brow allows you to see clearly temporarily. It takes a little practice but is a valuable tool.
Skill vs gear is a good point. But gear can reduce task loading. Deco in low vis, current with a bubble or a spare mask, I might favor the mask.

I took a great several week Sierra Club Wilderness Basics class on camping, with hikes and winter snow overnights. Some decided it could be called 'what to buy at REI'. I then read some works by ultralight hikers and wilderness survivalists. A poncho, knife, and flint might be all they need. But gore tex, tent and stove do reduce task loading in the rain or at night.

(I solo day 40-50' with sidemount and extra light, but no extra mask or DC.)

In the course of nearly 50 years and thousands of dives the only equipment failure I can recall was with my brand-new Sherwood regulator back in '83--it was flowing ever-so-slightly. I unscrewed the diaphragm cap a little and it stopped and continued with the dive. Are we just lucky or does luck favor the prepared?

It is a rare event so sure, you may not have run into it. But I had a secondary fail on my 48th dive, so it does happen (though on rental gear). I was quite happy to have an octopus though I could have buddy breathed in a pinch. Do agree that having multiple masks etc seems a bit much since you can easily finish a dive without it, but sure seems like having an octopus is a different thing altogether. Obviously you have the choice to do whatever you like, but I believe the statistics do say diving got a lot safer once people started having octopuses. (can't recall where I read that but I believe it was in Scuba Confidential)

Assertions without proof are opinions. I conclude, as I have many times before, that all we have is opinions. ... We truly do not know whether it's safer or less safe to dive (or swim) alone. I certainly do not claim to know.

Though, speaking only for myself, my experience has been that overall, I would have been far less safe on dives with "buddies" had I not been equipped with the skills and redundant gear. That's not opinion. Given the number of times a "buddy" would be no where near enough nor aware enough to help me if I ran into trouble, I have enough personal data to know that I am always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies I have, or how much experience they have or what we discussed during the dive plan.

sure you can but why would you ? youve organised your day and spent maybe a hundred bucks in fuel and gas and your going to have to surface after 15 minutes cos your mask strap broke and the next day your eyes will sting like hell -no thanks it s neat party trick but its not practical in the bigger scheme of things. carrying a mask in a pocket is no big deal
if ive take the time to go do a dive im going to give myself every chance of success

sure you can but why would you ? youve organised your day and spent maybe a hundred bucks in fuel and gas and your going to have to surface after 15 minutes cos your mask strap broke and the next day your eyes will sting like hell -no thanks it s neat party trick but its not practical in the bigger scheme of things. carrying a mask in a pocket is no big deal
if ive take the time to go do a dive im going to give myself every chance of success

Salt water makes your eyes sting?

Or you could use a neoprene mask strap rather than a silicone one and not have to deal with a lost mask. I prefer to solve issues before I get in the water rather than solve skill issues by carrying around extra gear.

Salt water makes your eyes sting?

Sure as heck stings mine. Don't even need to check whilst changing masks. Al that has to happen is a bit of water in my mask getting into an eye. Yes, I have opened my eyes underwater when mask free. It's doable but not my favorite thing.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been removed because they violate the guidelines for posting in the solo diving forum. This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved. Do not participate if you have already decided that solo diving is not for you! Thanks in advance.

Other posts may be deleted for the same reason. If you are participating in the solo diving forum and feel these guidelines are not being followed, please report the post rather than responding to it and we will have a look. This is your forum and we want you to be able to discuss how to safely dive solo, without having to debate whether you should.

Respectfully, your mod staff

Back
Top Bottom