• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by 2airishuman, Nov 10, 2018.

1. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    572f5c701f4620fd80febe82e3e44408.jpg

2. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Great White

I use that one too, along with "I was diving here long before you were born." Mainly to lifeguards.

Bob DBF likes this.
  3. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

I had a fairly new silicone mask strap break during a dive about 25 years ago. I've been using neoprene straps ever since.

4. Rollin Bonz

Rollin Bonz *insert catchy phrase here* ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Not what I was thinking when you said "neoprene mask strap"... Looks like the meat of the strap is webbing.

Seen them before, just wasn't aware that's what they were called :wink:

5. Fastmarc

Fastmarc Just drifting along...

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  6. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Straps of that kind in general are very common. They go on easily. They slide off easily. People with long hair and no hood absolutely should use them. They most commonly have Velcro fasteners, making them much easier to adjust than most standard mask straps. Go into the nearest dive shop and you will see a display of them, most likely with the shop's name on it. Some shops will nearly give them away with a mask purchase so you will carry around that advertisement.

Fastmarc likes this.
  7. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

how far do you push solo? deco? overhead? cave? 70m+ it seems to me the further you go into what id call 'serious diving' the less a buddy can do for you- iI was doing a dive a couple of weeks ago when a buddy got stuck in front of me and left me trapped behind him with no other exits.
    there seems to a tipping point where the disadvantages outweigh the benefits

8. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

Yes, Velcro webbing. I can't wear them, I guess my ears are at the wrong height. The webbing rubs on my ear and it is painful. I've never heard them called a neoprene strap, but rather by their trade name, a Slap Strap. There are other versions that use non-velcro webbing with a buckle system for tightening.

Rollin Bonz likes this.
  9. MaxBottomtime

MaxBottomtime Divemaster

I use the buckle version, but I always wear a hood so I don't get any rubbing.

10. SoloMonkey

SoloMonkey Angel Fish

In Curacao I found that Blue Bay divers let me solo dive. I arranged with them ahead of time through Bonaire Fun Travel and specifically said "I AM A SOLO DIVER" I dive with a set of AP flexi pylons and 4 straps to make up a twindy set and use a tanspac wing.

I think in some cases you need to ring ahead and see what the score is rather than turning up and hoping for automatic acceptance. If you have the requirement there is always some other outfit who generally will allow you to do what you want.

Best regards

Solo Monkey

drrich2 likes this.