Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the situations you've run into, what constitutes a "solo" certification? Does it have to be a card that specifically says "solo" on it, or are there other advanced certification levels that would also be accepted?

When I first started diving alone in Southern California it never would have occurred to me that it might require a special certification or that it might bother someone. I did several dives alone on Maui and nobody ever said anything or even gave me a funny look (at least not that I was aware of). Once again, it never would have occurred to me. If it wasn't for ScubaBoard I still might not know that I am an outlaw.
Same here. I had never heard of a solo certification until I read it on Scubaboard. Most of the time I read that it requires a different mindset, additional gear and a solo C-card. The only thing I do differently when I'm solo is not look for my buddy. I dive the same way, use the same gear and manage to not die.

Also, why are you looking at deco/experienced divers to dive with? Neither one of you will likely be fulfilled by the dive. I recommend finding someone with roughly the same dive plan to dive with.

I wasn't. Their experience level didn't come up initially.

I wasn't rejected. I didn't even ask. I looked at it as you did...those student paid for time with the instructor...I wasn't about to crash their party.

I had a situation where a pre-arranged buddy had some issues (equipment, mostly) and decided -- probably wisely -- not to dive. Same as you, I had driven a while and hadn't been there before and wanted to at least get one dive in. I actually wandered around the quarry asking groups if they would mind me tagging along. What I discovered was that just about everyone there was in a class or teaching a class. No one seemed to be there to just dive. Fortunately, I did find an instructor and student that didn't have a problem with me just following them, and the "student" (actually finishing some advanced specialties) wound up wanting to dive more that day, and I had extra tanks, so it worked out. It doesn't hurt to ask, but, yes, it is tough to just show up and hope to find someone.

Solo diving is not about diving alone. Its about the diver and his/her mindset. You can dive solo with a buddy or an entire group. And its not about the gear. A solo diver will know their skills and their tolerance for stress and plan accordingly. They may or may not need redundant gear based on the dive.

OW does not teach the mindset and does not provide the skills. Its up to the diver to develop these. The path to this may include advanced classes, mentoring, or simply experience with trial and yes some and error.

Same here. I had never heard of a solo certification until I read it on Scubaboard. Most of the time I read that it requires a different mindset, additional gear and a solo C-card. The only thing I do differently when I'm solo is not look for my buddy. I dive the same way, use the same gear and manage to not die.
But I am betting that your dive background and learning experience was different then the average OW student today. As highlighted by this thread, there doesn't seem to be the same level of mentoring as times past.

My OW instructor was very thorough. I came out of the class with the knowledge of how to complete a successful recreational dive. I didn't solo for a few years but by the time I did I hadn't taken any other classes yet.

My OW instructor was very thorough. I came out of the class with the knowledge of how to complete a successful recreational dive. I didn't solo for a few years but by the time I did I hadn't taken any other classes yet.

Same here. I'd been diving for over 20 years and had a couple thousand dives before I started diving alone, and it has usually been in places that were familiar or at least very similar to what I was used to. Once I started doing photography I wasn't much of a buddy anyway.

Same here. I'd been diving for over 20 years and had a couple thousand dives before I started diving alone, and it has usually been in places that were familiar or at least very similar to what I was used to. Once I started doing photography I wasn't much of a buddy anyway.
Well hopefully, you don't solo dive without at least five regulators, three pony bottles and a dozen backup computers. I also recommend a backup BC. :shakehead:

I dove alone before being trained.

This is why I am fairly consistent about the need for training (mentorship, a course etc) of some kind for safely solo diving.

Reinventing the wheel while risking drowning by cascading failures I didn't see coming isn't the method of learning I'd like to suggest to others.

... In full disclosure, I still don't have a solo card. But I also don't have anyone to show it to.

Murphy is a willing dive buddy.

Cameron

2-air.... SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS. This is not new territory any more than nitrox is. attitudes are hard to reason with and that is too bad. I remember you when you were first looking for gear, with no certs at all and I was getting the you will kill your self over solo. I really like the comment earlier (insetrt you problem) get your buddy. buddys are not so reliable in my experience. It is what drove me to fall back on a faithful concept I learned in submarines. always have a plan b or a backkup , know your limitations , and respect them both. a bad buddy will kill you as fast as a bad plan.

Back
Top Bottom