Bad Course or Bad Instructor???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thevalkyry

Queen of the Turtles
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the process of wrapping up my Dive-Con. As part of this I am having to re-take the written test because I was ill-prepared for the mathmatically-based questions on the test.

The homework provided along with the class text is fill-in-the blank. There is no intellectual rigor to it. I did read the text to do my homework rather than just scanning for key words, but the homework was hardly challenging. There were no computation questions to make sure that the physics principles had been mastered. In fact, there was one question on the test about calculating cubic displacement that required a formula that wasnt even in the text - I know because I went back over it 3 different times trying to figure out how I failed to pull a formula I needed out of the text. For me, there was a great disparity between the intellectual requirements of the exam and the intellectual demands of the homework that was to prepare you for it.

Was my instructor supposed to fill in all of these blanks?? Is my lack of preparedness for the test a reflection of poor course material or a poor instructor? (or both?) My boyfriend, who is a PADI certified instructor, showed me his lecture notes and how they fill out the text. In fact, it was he who gave me the handy formula of (Depth/33) +1 to figure out pressure at depth. This was in the PADI textbook and no where, spelled out for the math-stupid among us, in my SSI Dive-Con text even though I needed the formula to answer questions for the test.

So please, tell me, am I just an idiot or did I suffer from a wicked combination of poor course plus poor instruction?

I would not be surprised if poor materials played a large part. Some of the SSI specialties I have taken have had horrific homework wording and questions, as did the corresponding tests.

As both a SSI Dive-Con Instructor and a PADI, SDI and PSAI instructor, I will tell you that most of the instruction materials are lacking in some way or another. Wording, phrases and assumptions by the materials or the instructor can lead to gaps in your training.

I had a hard time with the "math stuff" in my divemaster and instructor training. You just have to read the manuals and literature carefully and ask A Lot of questions.

If your instructor is a good teacher, he/she will spend extra time on the physics and the math stuff and help you through it.

I think, after looking at a lot of training materials (I am a school teacher myself), PADI has it right.

I know because I went back over it 3 different times trying to figure out how I failed to pull a formula I needed out of the text. For me, there was a great disparity between the intellectual requirements of the exam and the intellectual demands of the homework that was to prepare you for it.

Was my instructor supposed to fill in all of these blanks?? Is my lack of preparedness for the test a reflection of poor course material or a poor instructor? (or both?) My boyfriend, who is a PADI certified instructor, showed me his lecture notes and how they fill out the text. In fact, it was he who gave me the handy formula of (Depth/33) +1 to figure out pressure at depth. This was in the PADI textbook and no where, spelled out for the math-stupid among us, in my SSI Dive-Con text even though I needed the formula to answer questions for the test.

Everything you need for the DiveCon written exam is in either the DiveCon manual or one of the prerequisite courses or should be something that you can derive when you have a good understanding of the material.

The formula your BF gave you is in the OW textbook and is required in order to pass the OW written exam.

Terry

I'm halfway through my DM training through PADI. I've found that the information you need is multiple sources. There isn't one book that has all the formulas. All the formulas are available from the course materials. It is annoying.

I am in the process of wrapping up my Dive-Con. As part of this I am having to re-take the written test because I was ill-prepared for the mathmatically-based questions on the test.

The homework provided along with the class text is fill-in-the blank. There is no intellectual rigor to it. I did read the text to do my homework rather than just scanning for key words, but the homework was hardly challenging. There were no computation questions to make sure that the physics principles had been mastered. In fact, there was one question on the test about calculating cubic displacement that required a formula that wasnt even in the text - I know because I went back over it 3 different times trying to figure out how I failed to pull a formula I needed out of the text. For me, there was a great disparity between the intellectual requirements of the exam and the intellectual demands of the homework that was to prepare you for it.

So please, tell me, am I just an idiot or did I suffer from a wicked combination of poor course plus poor instruction?

How about letting me step on your toes a bit and saying it was a combination of less that stellar instruction, course material that can stand improvement and lack of preparation on your part. Yes, you have to be included in the equation. Just because it isn't spoon fed and laid out in black and white doesn't mean that you shouldn't know or learn it. By the same token, the instructor should have noticed that you didn't look or feel comfortable when answering the questions All of the formulas needed for DiveCon are there, and IMO should have been learned before you ever got to divecon class. The depth formula is in the OW book. Sometimes we just glance a mathmatical formula and convince ourselves it's too complicated to learn, until someone shows it to us in it simplified form.

I can't comment on the quality of instruction you got but I do know that when I teach a DiveCon class, I don't hand feed every tidbit of information or teach the test. I do try to give incentive to make people want to search and learn more that what I'm teaching and in many cases, more that I know.

All of the agencies can and should improve their material, and hopefully try to on a continuing basis. Dont' get too upset that you didn't get through the test the first time some of the questions can be ambigious but also, don't try to put ALL of the blame somewhere else. Remember, we're divers. We're supposed to be responsible for ourselves.

I for on think this guy has a point. I have my dive-con books here, in front of me and still can't find this equation. Now I was very fortunate that I passed my test because my instructor did point out the material was lacking on such equations.

To all these people accuse him of not being prepared, maybe you need to realize that everyone is different in their learning techniques and in his case he needed more information in front of him as to going out side of the book to get the required information which should of already been included in the book if it is so important to test for it. Maybe it is time that ssi as well as instructors get together and truly re-do these manuals so people can study from material as well as notes from instructors.

To all these people accuse him of not being prepared, maybe you need to realize that everyone is different in their learning techniques and in his case he needed more information in front of him as to going out side of the book to get the required information which should of already been included in the book if it is so important to test for it. Maybe it is time that ssi as well as instructors get together and truly re-do these manuals so people can study from material as well as notes from instructors.

The relationship between depth and pressure is at the core of SCUBA diving and is covered in OW.

Terry

The relationship between depth and pressure is at the core of SCUBA diving and is covered in OW.

Terry
Yes it does... but their are more equations not covered. It should be reviewed in the end because many divers don't look at their old books. This person could of been 5 years or more out of her ow course, wonder what they truly remember.

Now as much as I would like to get into a wonderful debate on what SSI needs to do to improve their books and materials, I won't be. The organization knows it needs improvements, they are in the middle of a whole sale change on how things are done on the dive con level and when it is all ironed out things should be figured out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom