Bad day on the east side of the county

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
1319 hours pagers go off. “Dive team respond to Rose Lake boat launch, Male in the water below Watson’s Resort”.

The team rolls but I don’t hear the pager. We do have other things to do in life. But at 1347 hours dispatch calls and tells me to expedite.

1348 I’m in service and enroute. Traffic on the freeway was nice to me today as I drove right past our last drowning location. Made it through 10 miles of road construction like academy driver training. At 1402 hours the hail hits hard for around 5 miles. At 1409 hours I’m on scene after a 37-mile trip.

One team is already in the water searching in good vis for Rose Lake. 2-3 feet in the 300-acre lake is fantastic. This team has started from the last seen point headed towards the canoe a half a mile away.

My group starts from the canoe and works back. On the canoe are 3 fishing poles, tackle, Lots of ICEHOUSE beer and a couple of grams of pot. He had been drinking beer and smoking pot when he fell out of the canoe. Putting a PFD on board would have taken up beer room so lets not take one.

At 1606 hours we have a find that could cause even the most seasoned PSD to mess his drawers.

Dear old Larry, a male in his 50’s, is standing on the bottom in around 8’ of water. Yup, just standing they’re looking right at us. Right hand near his belt buckle, left hand holding onto a marine plant, glasses on, eyes wide open with a smile on his face. He looked more natural than we did.

We check the area, take measurements and photos and package him up.

We’re back at the boat ramp with old Larry on the dock in a body bag when some idiot is launching a 12’ Johnboat. I ask him where his PFD is. “I don’t need one I’m a good swimmer”. I look at this idiot and ask him if he was a diver. He says no. I asked him if he thought divers were better swimmers than regular swimmers. He says Yes I think they are. I point to Larry’s body and say he was fishing 150’ from shore, fell in and couldn’t make it to shore because of the cold water. And guess what, Larry is a certified diver. Besides the law says you need one. He leaves with his tail between his legs.

We are debriefing on scene and will do another one at the office when we clear the scene.

A snotty nose kid comes up and asks why he wasn’t called to assist. We respond with something like who are you and why would we call you?
“Oh, I’m the areas RESCUE DIVER”. Your what? He proceeds to tell us how he just finished his training down in California and has passed the word around the area he can do the rescue work faster and better than we can. Now we know these people are inner-bread for sure.

We ask what kind of rescue diver he was and he proudly spouted out with PADI Rescue diver. He was taken away from the scene by some of the brass that was there. We never saw him again after the trip into the woods.

6.5 hours later we are done and back at home getting the yucky pooooo stink out of my gear. Looks like we might be getting back to normal after a 2-year slump.

We had the fire rescue truck on stand-by but that location takes them better than 45 minutes to get to so unless we are going to use them we don’t have them respond.

Should be up 7 or 8 times tonight. It just never changes.

Gary D.

ps: I almost forgot. Being the high paid team that we are, I made $3.25 on this one. Please don't let the IRS know.

Gary, The only cure for stupidity is death. Unfortunately it's true and people like you have to go retrieve the ones that don't survive. I, for one, am very grateful for those of you who can do the jobs you do every day and continue to keep your sanity. Keep up the good work.

The area I want was a night shot so it's a little dark.

To the left of the photo is Coeur d'Alene Lake. At the far right to the right of the off colored box is Rose Lake. It's a 300 acre lake along the "Chain Lakes" that has no boat access to the Coeur d'Alene River.

The lake only runs around 15' deep and normal viz is zero. We got lucky and had a few feet yesterday. Thick vegitation and deep muck on the bottom make it hard to work in.

If you judged them by deaths per Sq foot Rose and Fernan must be the two most dangerous lakes we have. They are also the shallowest.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=16&x=41&y=410&z=11&w=1

I lost count on how many times I got up last night. With him standing there holding onto that vegation and looking more alive than we did, pucker factor kicked in. You couldn't drive a straight pin up my butt with a jack hammer. That was cool but very very weird. Then staying with him for over an hour didn't help any either.

Here is the news article.
http://www.cdapress.com/articles/2004/04/22/news/news03.txt

And another news article from Spokane.
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/idaho-news-story.asp?date=042204&ID=s1512021&cat=section.idaho

Gary D.

Gary, I hope you're doing ok with this!!! For whatever it's worth, I'm glad God made you!!

Gary:
I hope typing it out helped a bit. We're here for you ..we're listening..we support you.
I wish we could pay you more $ too.
But, hopefully our love and understanding is worth something.
Hang in there. God will have a big mansion waiting for you in heaven someday.

Gary:

Good job again! It never fails to amaze me just how many times public safety personnel are put at risk due to the stupidity of the public. It happens time and time again in numerous different ways. It can really get disgusting sometimes.

I will admit that I am a boater and I do not wear a life jacket very much while on the boat. But I am also on a very stable 27' cruiser, and not a canoe or jon boat. IF you are in the water from my boat, YOU MUST have a life jacket on. That simple, no questions asked! At the same time, in high water or dangerous water conditions, I do wear a jacket.

During my involvement with the fire department, I have NEVER pulled or seen pulled, a drowning victim from the water with a life jacket (not counting hypothermia).

Hang in there and sleep well.

Dan

Thanks for the kind words but I'm just doing a job I love and chose to do.

Every time I think about quiting I picture a family out on a lake on a nice warm day running into a floater someone couldn't find. My attitude changes and I stay with it.

Did lousy last night. It will get better. Hopefully the Post-mortem will give us a clue as to why he was in that position.

Check this out. You never know when the media is just to close. This was while we were securing. We aren't perverts.

http://diverlink.com/forums/view.php?site=diverlink&bn=diverlink_divertodiverlink&key=1082736602

Gary D.

Very nice PIC. Was that you in the PIC above that the media took?

Back
Top Bottom