Bad Dive Right In experience - or - just plain Bait and Switch ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
WOW - totally bummer experience with Dive Right In

They advertised they have a Hollis harness in and its a Medium. I expressly checked with them directly that this will fit my husband, and even give them his dimensions. They confirm absolutely YES it will !

I pay the money and they send me the WRONG wing, they sent a new HTS small. Ok - mistakes happen - I talk to someone there and they say they can sent me a medium, but it will be new and all have to pay the full new price, minus a 10% discount - hmm... smells like a bait and switch - but i say ok anyways, and instantly regret it. If i wanted to buy a new one, at new prices i would have just gone ahead and bought one.

Then the fun part, they take my money and don't bother sending the replacement :-( !!!

I call after 10 days and they say "oh it will ship today" WTF !! REALLY??!?!?

So, 20 days after I thought i was getting a used piece of equipment for $100 - I am out almost $300 and don't have anything from "DIVE RIGHT IN"

And they said they would send me a "return label" via email - they even CONFIRMED my email over the phone - - - - and guess what - - - - wait for it - - - - .............

NO RETURN LABEL SENT VIA EMAIL

WELL DONE DIVE RIGHT IN

Sorry to hear about your experience. Typically @Dive Right In Scuba 2
is a stand up operation and will make things right.
I'm sure they'll be reading your post and getting in touch, just doesn't sound like them.

I had a similar issue but it worked out ok in the end.
You are usually better off buying those types of used items from individuals. The huge mail order store sometimes has trouble keeping track of when a single unique item is sold and 2 or more different reps could have sold it to multiple people at the same time before it was removed from inventory. Rather than say sorry...gone they try to sell you something... trying to meet your needs. If done right and well communicated this is a great way to do business. When communication fails, well...

Last edited:
Just sent Mike (the owner) an email with a link to this thread. DRIS is my local shop. They'll help make it right, whatever the issue is.

@sarahlee bet you get whatever you want from Mike. I called DRIS and changed a order and got it done very quickly. Sorry you had trouble with them, but @Marie13 can get the ball rolling.

Yup, agreed that DRIS is a stand up op. I've bought many things from them and returned a couple and never had anything less than outstanding customer service from Mike.

I also had an issue last week with being sent the wrong item. Also had an issue with the return label and even a call back. Was bummed as their reputation and past purchases it's not their mo. It took a little bit of effort on my part but after an email DRIS contacted me and sent out the return label . Was even contacted 2 more times for a follow up. Mistakes happen ...... the follow up and direct email will definitely have me shop with them again.

HI Sarah,

First off, let me apologize, this is not typical, but a couple errors on our part turned this into a huge issue and headache for you. I'm a full disclosure person when we make a mistake, so below is what I've found out about this issue since I saw this thread.

If you look at the original thread on SB about the product, it was listed as a Medium on here, but on our online store, it was put as a small in the product description and dropdown menu. It looks like it was just a typo on SB, as we only had a SM. I'm assuming (as Kasia is on vacation - whom you talked to about it before purchase), that she just referenced the SB ad when you guys talked, and assumed it was a MD and no mistake was made when it was typed up. You placed the order in our online store, and on our site, it says you ordered a SM as that was the only option for this heavily discounted harness. This was the right listing of what we had available. When shipping got the order, they grabbed the SM that was on the order, and shipped it to you. Not having any clue that the SB ad said it was a MD by mistake. It looks like your husband called, and talked to Terry in shipping about it. Terry apologized, and gave him a smoking deal on the right size which was a newer model, and your husband agreed. I apologize that this made you guys feel it was a bait and switch. I can FULLY assure you we don't play games like that, there is no reason for us to do that. We take pride in getting you what you need, not just making a quick buck. The Small harness you recieved, we got at a heavily discounted price because it was an older model and not a popular size. This is why it was priced so low, and why we couldn't do the same price on a different size as what we sold it for, was way below our cost. We didn't have a MD at that price, so Terry dropped the price below our cost to help your husband out for our mistake instead of just taking the harness away and refunding your money. I'm really sorry BTW so far, so don't think I'm not....Story continues...So, last week, our other shipping guy, left on short notice to get a union pipe fitters job. I wish we could pay as much as they do! So, we're behind a guy back there and Terry has been busting butt to pick up that slack. This is where after talking to your husband, he meant to get upstairs and pull the MD that was agreed upon and ship it and charge the difference. I know you think we charged you, but no money was taken for the upchage. You also say it was a 10% discount, I thought I was told tonight it was much better than that, but we will talk about that later. Well, in the craziness of his day and getting all of the receiving and shipping done, he forgot about the harness....This shouldn't have happened, and please don't feel I'm glossing over this fact. We try hard to NEVER let things like this happen, and I'm sorry it happened to you! So, fast forward to today, and your husband called saying he wanted to cancel it if it didn't ship today. Terry said he would get it out, and I'm not sure what was relayed to your husband or how the rest of the conversation with our husband went yet as he didn't talk to Terry. This, then leads to this post, which thankfully Marie sent to me so I could fact find and come back with an apology and explanation of what I knew at this current time of night.

Well, sorry to have you read all that....but, I think it's important to show you how this mistake happened. We fully own it, and I'm embarrassed at the folly of errors that lead up to your post, which is justified. Unfortunately, we are here now. I would like to talk to you or your husband about this either tonight or tomorrow so we can get to a resolution. Even if that resolution is a full refund. I really hope you accept my and my staffs sincere apology, and let us help make this right and get you the harness, but I will fully understand if this has stained us in your eyes. I have sent my personal cell phone number by private message to you, so you can call me tonight or please give me a time to follow up with you tomorrow.

We take pride in everything running perfect for every customer, realistically though, sometimes $hit happens no matter how good our intentions are. I'm really sorry that this happened on your order, but I thank you for posting this so I could find it and get it taken care of and explain how we came to this mess. Feel free to message, email, or call my cell so we can take care of this in what ever manner you prefer!

Last edited:
wow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom