Bad experience with Amigos del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Belize. We stayed in a villa on Ambergris Caye. On Thursday 12/12/2019 I went on a full day 3-tank dive to Turneffe through Amigos del Mar. On the ride out, the crew had attached everyone's BCD to a full tank. When we arrived at the first dive spot we were told to move, two at a time, to the back of the boat and sit on the rail. I already had my weight belt on, so once I sat down I put my fins and mask on and the tank/BCD was brought to me to put on. Once I was ready I fell back into the water and moved away from the boat and prepared to descend. I was the first one in the water. At this point I could feel the regulator being pulled on by the air hose and I knew what was wrong. The crew had not strapped my BCD to the tank securely and the tank had slipped out.
One thing to note here is that none of the divers were given the opportunity to inspect their equipment. In hindsight I should have insisted, and next time I will insist.
At this point I moved back closer to the boat and told them what had happened. I was told by the dive master to stay on the surface and breathe through my regulator and that they would come to me and fix the problem (I pretty much always use my snorkel when on the surface). About 2-3 minutes later the dive master finally made his way over to me and fixed the issue. He then proceeded to chew me out about using too much air on the surface.
Needless to say, I ran out of air before anyone else. Once my air reached 700 psi I went to the dive master, gave him the low air sign and showed him 7 fingers. He moved up to me, grabbed me by my BCD and proceeded to drag me around for the rest of the dive. Once we surfaced and got back to the boat the dive master proceeded to chew me out in front of all the other divers about how unfair it was of me to the other divers that they had to end their dive early because I used too much air.
Never once did the dive master acknowledge that the problem had originated with their improper attachment of my BCD to the tank. I would not have stayed on the surface and I would not have continued to breathe through my regulator (which they instructed me to do) if they had not screwed up.
To add insult to injury, the boat captain started making jokes at my expense. Amigos del Mar does not seem to understand that they are in a customer service industry. Blaming the customer for the chaos caused by their poor workmanship is not only unprofessional, but completely uncalled for. Making jokes at the customer's expense just shows how out of touch with their industry these people are. IMHO, these people displayed very poor judgement when it comes to making sure everyone had a good time.
On the two subsequent dives I cam up with more air than several of the other divers.
Overall I would say that all three crew members failed to provide great customer service. The junior dive master assembled the equipment wrong, the senior diver master blamed my and the captain made jokes at my expense.
I am a well experienced diver with around 90 dives over the years, mostly at the Santa Barbara Channel Islands (I've spent the night on Conception at the same spot where it burned up, YIKES!), Monterey and Cozumel. I've never had any issue on any dive I've ever done before.
I did contact ADM and spoke to their manager who promised me he would speak with the crew and respond via email, but he never did. All I asked for was an apology. I never asked for and was never offered a refund. Money was not the issue and was not the solution.
A year and a half ago I did many dives, both day and night, at Cozumel with zero issues (and quite frankly, considerably better water clarity). The customer service, underwater beauty, and overall experience in Cozumel was, IMHO, far superior to Belize. For these reasons, not only will I never dive with ADM again, but I will likely never return to Belize again, there are too many other great places to dive to subject myself to that again. YMMV

CobraRGuy

Sorry to hear the bad experience you reported, and appreciate your level-headed manner in relating it to us.

I recommend not writing off Belize on account of that experience; it's a large diving region with a range of options. I really enjoyed the Sun Dancer II (a.k.a. Belize Aggressor IV) live-aboard, and some like Turneffe Island Resort.

Many of us have our favorite destinations, and Cozumel rocks! That said, Cozumel's drift diving is a much different experience than what I encountered in Belize, and both were different from Bonaire, all different from North Carolina...the point is, Belize may have something more to offer you, even if it's not your favorite.

I make it abundantly clear that no one touches my gear once on the boat...if they dont like it, I change ops... we dove with ADM 14 years ago and my daughter of 14 at the time got OW certified with them.we had no issues with them at all..

I did that same 3 tank trip from AC a few years ago when I had just started diving. I went with Rudy at Island divers. Had a great time but at the time I could suck a tank down pretty fast. I would surface on my own though while the rest of the group finished their dives. I did have a captain laugh at me though, I was trying to descend from the surface by inflating my BC.

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Belize. We stayed in a villa on Ambergris Caye. On Thursday 12/12/2019 I went on a full day 3-tank dive to Turneffe through Amigos del Mar. On the ride out, the crew had attached everyone's BCD to a full tank. When we arrived at the first dive spot we were told to move, two at a time, to the back of the boat and sit on the rail. I already had my weight belt on, so once I sat down I put my fins and mask on and the tank/BCD was brought to me to put on. Once I was ready I fell back into the water and moved away from the boat and prepared to descend. I was the first one in the water. At this point I could feel the regulator being pulled on by the air hose and I knew what was wrong. The crew had not strapped my BCD to the tank securely and the tank had slipped out.
One thing to note here is that none of the divers were given the opportunity to inspect their equipment. In hindsight I should have insisted, and next time I will insist.
At this point I moved back closer to the boat and told them what had happened. I was told by the dive master to stay on the surface and breathe through my regulator and that they would come to me and fix the problem (I pretty much always use my snorkel when on the surface). About 2-3 minutes later the dive master finally made his way over to me and fixed the issue. He then proceeded to chew me out about using too much air on the surface.
Needless to say, I ran out of air before anyone else. Once my air reached 700 psi I went to the dive master, gave him the low air sign and showed him 7 fingers. He moved up to me, grabbed me by my BCD and proceeded to drag me around for the rest of the dive. Once we surfaced and got back to the boat the dive master proceeded to chew me out in front of all the other divers about how unfair it was of me to the other divers that they had to end their dive early because I used too much air.
Never once did the dive master acknowledge that the problem had originated with their improper attachment of my BCD to the tank. I would not have stayed on the surface and I would not have continued to breathe through my regulator (which they instructed me to do) if they had not screwed up.
To add insult to injury, the boat captain started making jokes at my expense. Amigos del Mar does not seem to understand that they are in a customer service industry. Blaming the customer for the chaos caused by their poor workmanship is not only unprofessional, but completely uncalled for. Making jokes at the customer's expense just shows how out of touch with their industry these people are. IMHO, these people displayed very poor judgement when it comes to making sure everyone had a good time.
On the two subsequent dives I cam up with more air than several of the other divers.
Overall I would say that all three crew members failed to provide great customer service. The junior dive master assembled the equipment wrong, the senior diver master blamed my and the captain made jokes at my expense.
I am a well experienced diver with around 90 dives over the years, mostly at the Santa Barbara Channel Islands (I've spent the night on Conception at the same spot where it burned up, YIKES!), Monterey and Cozumel. I've never had any issue on any dive I've ever done before.
I did contact ADM and spoke to their manager who promised me he would speak with the crew and respond via email, but he never did. All I asked for was an apology. I never asked for and was never offered a refund. Money was not the issue and was not the solution.
A year and a half ago I did many dives, both day and night, at Cozumel with zero issues (and quite frankly, considerably better water clarity). The customer service, underwater beauty, and overall experience in Cozumel was, IMHO, far superior to Belize. For these reasons, not only will I never dive with ADM again, but I will likely never return to Belize again, there are too many other great places to dive to subject myself to that again. YMMV

CobraRGuy

Do you remember the name of the boat that you were on that day?

I spent a week in Ambergris Caye this time 4 years ago and used Amigos del Mar. They were fine.

If the facts are as reported it sounds like you caught them on a bad day or the DM was defensive for other reasons. (You don't know what else was going on in the background). However not getting an apology (costs nothing!) is surprising and disappointing.

My only complaint about the area was that the dives were a bit repetitive. It's a great location for 3 days of diving but you've seen it all by then.

I spent a week in Ambergris Caye this time 4 years ago and used Amigos del Mar. They were fine.

If the facts are as reported it sounds like you caught them on a bad day or the DM was defensive for other reasons. (You don't know what else was going on in the background). However not getting an apology (costs nothing!) is surprising and disappointing.

My only complaint about the area was that the dives were a bit repetitive. It's a great location for 3 days of diving but you've seen it all by then.

The OP's story says went out to Turneffe, where the diving is significantly better than the local diving. The problem with OP's story to me, is not just how OP claims to have been treated but also the way he claims the divers entered the water. That's why I asked if OP could remember the name of the boat.

I went to AC a couple of years ago to check THE Bluehole off my list. The resort shop that our group was diving with knew weeks in advance that I was coming primarily to dive Blue Hole. Two days before we were to dive it, they canceled my trip. They were not going to call around and find me a spot on another boat either. They finally called Amigos and their boat was out of service. Neither seemed particularly interested in finding me a ride. I ran to Ramon's and they were more than accommodating.

I'd recommend Ramon's but frankly I wasn't that impressed with AC. Like every place I've been, I'd rather be in Cozumel.

Here a link to the fiasco.

Trip Report-LONG-Ambergris Caye, Sunbreeze Hotel, Ambergris Divers, Blue Hole, Food

Safe travels,
Jay

Back
Top Bottom