Bahamas Close Call Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahpoolman, I can't thank you enough for sharing this video. I am a new diver who did AOW right after OW and this video is one of the best learning video's I have seen..

Cool... now I feel happy to have started the original thread on this video a few months back.

Cave Diver - thanks so much for going through the effort of finding Ahpoolman and inviting him to SB.

Ahpoolman - welcome. Thanks for the great vid and verifying its authenticity. This could make great educational material.

Thanks Alpanian for starting the new thread a couple months ago. The video should be watched by all divers, or potential divers thinking about joining the sport. It really puts another perspective on the "buddy system" and how important it is. Also if the "Buddy System" was implemented in these 2 divers case then no problems would have happened. Thanks for the comments..Aaron

I found the video on youtube about 3 months or so ago, just browsing around. My wife and I are both rescue divers and I showed the video to her too. One action that we thought was very admirable on your part, was the levelheadedness on your part to deflate their BCDs, before ascending. Excellent job and very impressive. I am not sure I would have remebered that, with a couple of potential OOA victims in tow.

Good to see that the vid resurfaced, it is just great.

Thank you

Chris in Calgary

Yeah that's a very good point.. So many things would have been going through your head, well done remembering the air in their BCD's!

Dynamite video, and not hurt at all by the wonderful soundtrack. Funnily, I also came across on the same week another vid of a tech dive gone wrong with the same sound track. I now know all the words, wonderful wonderful choice of songs. Perfect actually.

Outside of the obvious benefit of the video I'd like to say that I think you were very cool in the circumstance and a few dudes likely owe you their lives. Even if they don't get the beers in I hope you drink off that story for a couple of decades yet.

Well done.

J

Thanks for the Posts Elkfriend, Toefa, and Inthedrink. I really hope that the more people that watch the video it will give them another perspective on diving safely. As far as the music goes, I think it was a perfect fit too. Makes it alittle more dramatic. When put into a situation like that, there really is not a right and a wrong way to get them up. There is safer ways to do things then others, but the end result is to get them to the surface. On that dive the training kicked in and everything went smoothly, If I was put in the same situation again who knows what I would have done, but it worked out good in this situation. There are things that go through my head that I could have done differently. But in a situation with 2 people out of air it's hard to give up my secondary regulator to just one of them, so I was intensly watching their air bubbles, when I was at 15 ft. I would have loved to stay and decompressed longer. Thanks again for the posts. Aaron

I think it's probably fair to say it's been OUR pleasure.

Dont want to give you give you a big head but it's a good deomonstration of how things should be done (in my novice opinion).

J

I have a friend who is a dive instructor watch that video, and he is going to incorporate it into his classes. It is truly chilling, and hopefully we'll all learn from it. I just hope I won't have that song stuck in my head every time I dive now!

Whilst I am not doubting the events, i am doubting the video. When I watched it, I felt as though it was a staged video to recreate the dive. I know many, many videographers, yet not one records the readings on his/her computer routinely.

The second thing that worries me enormously is the decision to dump all their buoyancy. If he had lost hold of one of the divers, he would have likely been negative, and would not have had any gas left to resurface. The rescuer and the other diver would have been buoyant, at the surface, and facing a ride in the pot. Surely they were in a position to be able to dump on the way up. Even if they weren't. losing control of their ascent would have left them maybe bent at the surface, but at least there is a breathable gas there, and the potential for full recovery.

The two divers were not in a great situation, to say the least. and well done for getting them out of a hole. I hope they bought copious beers afterwards!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom