Bahamas Close Call Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks ahpoolman for your video and narration. Clearly the 2 divers were taken by the beauty of the underwater. But that should not be a hindrance for checking their remaining air and depth. If they have their dive computers, they will be surely be warned by it. I set mine at 50 min per dive and 80 ft deep. These are the warnings I set up for myself. Anyway, foremost to all divers is to always check their depth and remaining air when under water.... The beauty of the reefs and underwater world is awesome. But you won't enjoy them when you are six feet underground.

What an incredible video! What an incredible rescue! Unconscious diving is deadly diving. These divers were so unaware. They had no respect for the natural laws of the universe, physics, or common sense.

You went above and beyond what most divers would do. You saved two lives and allowed their families to live with their loved ones for years to come.

WOW! AWESOME!

Something to be proud of for the rest of your life. Way to go!

To add to the "Dive within your limits", I believe the more important lesson would be to be aware of the conditions. The current, the depth, air remaining, deco tables, the whole ball of wax. Any one problem can kill us. Getting task saturated almost killed 'em.

I know this is harsh, but, on a wall dive, the dive master should be constantly aware of the deepest divers, period. I just don't see how he wasn't the one to react to this situation.

Excellent catch, that one guy was huffing like a freight train. That's a great indicator of comfort and/or distress, particularly if they're not swimming hard or working.

Holeee moleee that was a close one for them. You didn't have much time for a great safety stop did you!

Congratulations on a job well done.

I'm just wondering, for a lessons learned, if every facet of this near miss was taken into consideration?

1. Self preservation. At what point would you have pulled up to avoid killing yourself?
2. Post dive reviews. It never hurts to review, forget hurt feelings.
3. Pre dive reviews. I always wonder why some more questions aren't asked of the quiet ones on the boat. Seriously, even if they have to draw pictures. It's a wall dive, a DEEP wall dive. It's not a surprise. I'm wondering if dive masters shouldn't wear clangers or other underwater noise makers to signal "EVERYONE STOP, CHECK YOUR GAUGES, SOMETHING BAD IS HAPPENING" on a dangerous dive. He can't exactly yell, "Hey you guys, way down there with your head's on crooked, GET UP HERE!!!"

There will always be Monday morning quarterbacking, but this video is a stunning reminder of so many things that need to go right.

Thanks for the thread.

I'm a brand new diver new to the boards and just ran across this. Wow - I have almost no experience whatsoever and those numbers... wow. If I had been there it would have been a sickening day as I could not have helped - I am not qualified and there would have been three deaths if I had. Best I could have done would be to get the DM and hope he could help. I would love to be a rescue diver some day, just in case, but thats a few years off. Thanks so much for posting this, as it has reinforced the need to monitor my computer frequently. I also won't even consider a wall dive until I have a lot more experience. It sounds like it's pretty easy to get into trouble if you don't have good monitoring habits. I have learned a LOT from this board already.

I am amazed though, that while I understand that the role of a DM is not to be a lifeguard or babysitter, I am puzzled that he would allow a 12 year old on that dive. My daughter is Jr AOW (I didn't want her to have less training than that before she started) and she is limited to 60 feet. A 12 year old raising their hand for an "advanced only" dive would be a pretty good clue that they DON'T know their limits. It may not be the DM's job to monitor that, but it sure as heck is the fathers. The dad should have been brought up on child endangerment charges... He was narc'ed before he left the boat. Even if they didn't understand the briefing, he sure as heck should understand how to read a depth gauge. When I dive with my daughter (and another buddy) I constantly watch her and check my gauge. We also don't dive where you can go deeper than 60 feet. I'll get off my "Dad" soapbox now...

PS - With a previous career in the arts, please know that you did a good job. I will look for some of your other videos. This is so much more gripping than most of the reality garbage that intentionally tries to make things more dramatic with ridiculous narration. "The dive partners do not respond to the tapping, this can only mean they are near death!" "Aaron moves in for a closer look, drastically exceeding any safe depth and puts his life on the line to rescue the helpless divers!". And Johnny Cash was a great choice.

Thanks again

-John

I'm surprised how many times people come on board for a dive they have no business going on with the experience they have. Mention they should probably pay one of the DM's to accompany them and they look like you want their last dollar. The DM leading the dive is not a baby sitter. Each diver has to be aware of their status throughout the dive and act accordingly. Looks like these two were lucky indeed.

Yup, seen it, it's pretty nuts. Well done by the guy filming.

Back
Top Bottom