Bahamas Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingKDawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are looking at a possible Bahamas scuba trip. We are both Advanced certified. We like big fish, coral, wrecks.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I think you will get a better response by posting this in the Bahamas travel section, so I will move it there.

One big question is whether to do a live-aboard (Blackbeard's, Juliet or Lost Island Voyages, Aquacat - in rough increasing order of cost/comfort) vs. land-based. If it's all about the diving, and since you're bringing a wife, I'd look at the AquaCat.

Richard.

It's been a long time since we were at the Riding Rock Inn on San Salvador but they are currently doing construction and will reopen fully in March 2016 - so it may be time to go back. I remember beautiful wall dives and sharks on just about every dive and a very efficient dive operation. The resort was small and a bit run down but clean. The food was family style and it was usually quite good. It depends on what you are looking for, there are not a lot of topside attractions on San Sal, but it is a very pretty, remote, and interesting spot with great diving.

Last edited:
If you both like camping and diving Blackbeards was a great experience not luxury at any stretch but fun.

Blackbeards Sea Explorer:

Here's a pretty decent wreck list: Wreck Dives | The Official Site of The Bahamas And the BDA members list which is not all of the operations but most of them. Bahamas Government Portal - Welcome to Bahamas Diving

Cove's does the shark dives. Logistically I'm not a fan of their operation since they have to shuttle everyone from Nassau to their location on the south side - it takes 45mins. each way. I prefer to rent a car and drive to the shop/dock. Which you can do at Bahama Divers in the channel between Nassau and Paradise Island. Those are really the only two options on Nassau though so dive prices are a little higher. And some of the Cove's wrecks are really old movie sets - a Bond film plus Into the Deep was filmed there. Since they get fed daily, there's often reef sharks in the area as well as at the feed sites.

Another option is UNEXSO and the other shops on Freeport. UNEXSO also does Dolphin dives as well as shark feeds. The Theo is possibly the signature deep wreck - 240' long, 100' deep. And for the real big fish - two shops are going out to Tiger Beach almost daily from there - Epic Diving and the shop at the Wyndham. That looks something like this - although not my photo that's Emma. She likes divers. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1f2qzLwbf...nE/Hf8iK9oNVfU/s1600/Hook+-+Emma+and+Hook.jpg

A quieter option is also Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros. They do some advanced dives - a couple sound very interesting. It was on our go list for years but we've changed focus more recently. Dive Sites

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom