Bahamas Trip Report - Grand Bahama Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island: November 22 - 29, 2004. Things appear to be slowly heading back to normal following the rough hurricane season. The tourist areas far more quickly than the rest of the island.
Dive ops suffered a bit too, and after calling around to find out who was open, I decided to try Sunn Odessey and Grand Bahama Scuba based on reviews here and elsewhere. I checked in with Sunn Odessey on arrival, and Karen returned my call with a message stating that they had some issues with their boat, and were awaiting a part -- have to dive with them later in the week. Grand Bahama Scuba had room for me the next morining, and I went with them. Due to continued problems with Sunn Odessey's boat (according to another diver who was diving with them in the canal and staying at my hotel) I never did get to try them -- Sorry.
Grand Bahama Scuba, on the other hand, was a real treat for the week. Four 2-tank dives in all, various dives up to 90 feet, including wreck dives (Laura and Duncan's), Reefs (Picasso, Tunnels, SPID City), and of course, Shark Junction. A bit on the rough side one day but calm and excellent visibiliity most of the time. They picked me up a the hotel at 9:00 am sharp every day (an extra hour to eat/sleep -- also if you are with someone else and they cancel, you can still try to dive with Grand Bahama Scuba), and continued with their courtious professionalism throughout the dives. With a mix of relatively new divers and long-time experts, they matched their dives and level of attention perfectly. Fred believes in doing things right, and has a number of techniques and rules to insure that everyone has a safe as well as enjoyable diving experience. Boat and equipment were in great shape and appeared to be well maintained. Everyone seemed eager to please as well as inform the divers on local information both above and below the water. I wish I could have tried another operator to compare/contrast, but I sure had a great week of diving. Eager to return, and highly reccomend Grand Bahama Scuba. Any questions? Just ask.

Puck:
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island: November 22 - 29, 2004. Things appear to be slowly heading back to normal following the rough hurricane season. The tourist areas far more quickly than the rest of the island.
Dive ops suffered a bit too, and after calling around to find out who was open, I decided to try Sunn Odessey and Grand Bahama Scuba based on reviews here and elsewhere. I checked in with Sunn Odessey on arrival, and Karen returned my call with a message stating that they had some issues with their boat, and were awaiting a part -- have to dive with them later in the week. Grand Bahama Scuba had room for me the next morining, and I went with them. Due to continued problems with Sunn Odessey's boat (according to another diver who was diving with them in the canal and staying at my hotel) I never did get to try them -- Sorry.
Grand Bahama Scuba, on the other hand, was a real treat for the week. Four 2-tank dives in all, various dives up to 90 feet, including wreck dives (Laura and Duncan's), Reefs (Picasso, Tunnels, SPID City), and of course, Shark Junction. A bit on the rough side one day but calm and excellent visibiliity most of the time. They picked me up a the hotel at 9:00 am sharp every day (an extra hour to eat/sleep -- also if you are with someone else and they cancel, you can still try to dive with Grand Bahama Scuba), and continued with their courtious professionalism throughout the dives. With a mix of relatively new divers and long-time experts, they matched their dives and level of attention perfectly. Fred believes in doing things right, and has a number of techniques and rules to insure that everyone has a safe as well as enjoyable diving experience. Boat and equipment were in great shape and appeared to be well maintained. Everyone seemed eager to please as well as inform the divers on local information both above and below the water. I wish I could have tried another operator to compare/contrast, but I sure had a great week of diving. Eager to return, and highly reccomend Grand Bahama Scuba. Any questions? Just ask.

Where else have yo dove and what does Grand Bahama compare to?

Thanks for the report, I dove with Karen and Nick at "Sunn" in April and had a great time. They are wonderful people and work really hard at running a top notch operaton. I've been wondering how things are going out there and hope my friends will get their boat up and running. Also glad to hear the island is recovering, she told me just after the storms that West End was pretty much completely wiped out and there was major damage all over.
Let's continue to encourage as many divers to head out that way as we can as tourism is really the only real commerce on the island and we all will be the key to a speedy recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom