Bail-out bottle question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salth2owannabe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I seen some of the various discussions on leaving a bail-out bottle on, charged and off, off, etc. If you charge the line and second stage and then turn off the valve and you were to bump the purge or it free flows at some point and the line discharges, don't you stand a chance of flooding your 1st stage? Couldn't the same issue be there if you just leave it turned off? My bail-out is small for travel and convenience, but if it free flows a lot of air is gone in short order. This issue came up in the pool last night. Looking for the best option. Thanks

I was having trouble deciding which way to deal with this also.

Here is what I decided and why:
If the bailout second stage is extremely close (around neck), leave it on. You will notice any freeflow or leakage very guickly and it is always ready for breathing from.

If the bailout second stage is not so handy (tucked into the bands on the tank), leave it off with the line pressurized. It will give at least 1 breathe even with the tank off and there is time to turn it on. I would turn the valve on and back off during the dive to make sure that the line is remaining pressurized and ready for use. The main reason to leave the valve off is that if it freeflowed, you might not notice and the high pressure seat may fail when reopened at depth.

Always verify that the bailout is working before tha dive!

I personally like to have my bailout bottle turned on all day. (It gets mounted to my tank.) I check that it is "full" and then turn it on and test before the first dive. It then stays on the rest of the day until diving is done. I test with a quick breath before and during each dive. After a day of diving it ends up just shy of full. I use a tank to transfill before the next trip. If any of my gear is freeflowing or leaking at all, my dive buddy will give me a heads up. I keep the bailout 2nd routed behind my head and down on my left side next to the inflator hose. Easy access. I may look into a necklace and possibly one of the new Miflex hoses for this purpose.

A tank-mounted pony can't be turned on during the dive so it has to be on the entire time. I'm not sure what configuration you'd be diving to have a pony reg bungied around your neck either. Personally, the few times I've carried an extra bottle, it's been slung off the harness under my left arm, charged and turned off with the reg tucked into flexible bands on the tank itself.

Rachel

If the regulator is a DIN mount a lot of the rigidity comes from the thrust load of the air pressure. Diving with it off opens the door to a broken connection and introducing water to the regulator inlet.

The same can be said to a lesser extent regarding yokes.

My pony experience is limited but I have already experienced the DIN problem, I'd be interested in hearing more about this issue from others.

Pete

I dive with a 19CF pony, and I leave the tank on. I also have this mounted on my tank, so it's more difficult to reach to turn on.

I figure it is for emergencies, which are rare. I check the pressure before each dive, and I've not had issues, nor have I ever needed it. The only time I've breath off my pony is to make sure it's working properly, so maybe every couple dives I do that UW, and before every dive I suck on it a it to make sure it's on, and working.

A tank-mounted pony can't be turned on during the dive so it has to be on the entire time. I'm not sure what configuration you'd be diving to have a pony reg bungied around your neck either. Personally, the few times I've carried an extra bottle, it's been slung off the harness under my left arm, charged and turned off with the reg tucked into flexible bands on the tank itself.

Rachel

I respectfully disagree.

I have my pony mounted on my cam bands with a ponease mount system and the tank is upside down so I can reach the valve any time I want. I can turn it on or off. I dive with it on and I have my pony reg tuned a little "heavy" so that it has less a tendency to free flow.

But a pony certainly can be on...or off....and changed.... from the giant step or whatever till the "crawl back on the boat".

I tank-mount mine in the upright position (19 ft3), and leave it on all the time (I could never reach the valve without taking off my crotch strap and loosening 1 shoulder, i.e. not quickly). My wife wears her 9 ft3 bungeed to her backplate valve down and leaves the valve off. Funny, since I've had the pony, I've not had to use it. Needed it a lot before I had one.

I wish I had a big-a**ed retractor so I could hang it off my BCD like a good DorkDiver should.

Thanks for the options-
I came up with a mounting system so that it quick clips just below chest level. It rides nice there and I can see the small gauge which I mount up facing me. I can easily turn it on or off at will, just not sure if there are any issue with leaving it off until needed. I've seen some responces that say it will flood the first stage but obviously by these responces some keep thiers off. I have the second stage and hose held against the tank by bungee cord so all I have to do is pull it free. I guess if it does free flow I can see it immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom