bailout bottle and airport security?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably because a pressurized cylinder is considered "hazmat" in many countries, and boats and trains and airplanes are restricted in how they can transport hazmat. .

So, are you saying it's possible to bring a pressurized, 13 cu/ft pony bottle onboard an airliner? If anyone would have asked me I would have been sure that the answer was no.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is focused on issues related to carrying small scuba cylinders on commercial airliners, and the TSA regulations involved. Two posts have been edited, and nine others deleted, as being 'Off-topic' - they involved a discussion unrelated to the focus of the thread. Please keep the discussion focused on the topic that originated the thread.

Just came back from Cozumel 13cf in checked bag valve out didn't say anything to anyone. Had TSA checked tag inside that piece of luggage when we arrived did same thing on the way back was not checked.

saying it's possible to bring a pressurized, 13 cu/ft pony bottle onboard an airliner?
Absolutely not allowed by any airline I know of.

Do TSA check bags with ponys most of the time or are they able to tell what it is via x-ray, etc.?
I see one person above say theirs was checked one way, but not the other.

They will certainly see it with the X-ray machine but there doesn't seem to be much consistency whether or not they will have you open your bag. They used to pull my bag for inspection nearly every time and lately they just let it pass. It has the same stuff in it that it used to have. I do my best to be sure that what is not allowed in my carry-on is in a checked bag and abide by all the regulations to best of my knowledge.

If you remove the valve and put it in your checked bag you might find a note from TSA when you open it later. If you don't use a TSA lock you may find your lock missing. We've found notes from TSA a couple of times but never really knew what they were suspicious of. Same stuff that's always in there.

I'm curious: what makes it a "special item?" From what I've read you can check a scuba tank as long as it doesn't weigh more than 50 pounds and the valve is removed. I was going to bring a stainless steel backplate in my carry-on but at the last minute decided to check it because I thought they might consider it to be a weapon.

Anyone taken a pony bottle on the Cozumel/Playa ferry recently? We took the ferry on the 10th and they have a new sign that says "no scuba tanks" so I'm wondering if a pony bottle is an exception, or if there are exceptions. It also said no bombs either :wink:

I usually fly Delta, and when you check bags they ask if any of your bags contains "special items." tanks are specifically listed as qualifying. Other airlines may handle it differently.

Back
Top Bottom