Bailout Rebreather Mode on Petrel 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heat Miser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was reading through the Manual for the Petrel 3 (ahead of maybe buying one for either my Choptima or rEvo) and I got a touch excited that Shearwater have now made a provision for Semi Close Mode and Bailout Rebreather Mode on the computer.

My only question is am I reading their Manual correctly that these new modes are only available in either an Analog Cable Gland Model or a Fischer Connector Model?

Why not include the new modes in the DiveCan versions as well?

Attachments

• Page65.jpg
    Page65.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 46
Bailout rb mode shows the cells/ppo2 while calculating based on a fixed setting. They've had that feature for a couple years now.

Bailout rb mode shows the cells/ppo2 while calculating based on a fixed setting. They've had that feature for a couple years now.
Its not on any of my DiveCan versions in Petrel 2's

According to the release notes, it was added with Version 84 of the firmware on 26 July 2021 and applies to "External PPO2 monitors only."

So, it seems like it should be available eon the Petrel2 as long as it is running firmware version 84 or greater. It is even included in the Petrel 2 release notes.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 11.15.34 AM.png

Maybe reach out to Shearwater support?

Regards,

- brett

It is only availible on the analog "monitors". I checked with SW when this firmware was released, because I could not find it on my Petrel2 connected to my Meg15. They answered that they would not release this on controllers, and when I pointed out that it is not a controller on Meg's they never answered again.. Unusual for SW-suppoert..

It is only availible on the analog "monitors". I checked with SW when this firmware was released, because I could not find it on my Petrel2 connected to my Meg15. They answered that they would not release this on controllers, and when I pointed out that it is not a controller on Meg's they never answered again.. Unusual for SW-suppoert..
Why do you think that's the policy to "Not release this on controllers" Do you think it a manufacturer decision not encourageing unsafe use? They are essentially saying they wont release it on DiveCan models whether they are controllers or monitors.

I just dont get why.

I don't know the reasoning behind the not on controllers. I know many people would appreciate that for their BO-ccr's.

I don't know the reasoning behind the not on controllers. I know many people would appreciate that for their BO-ccr's.
Id imagine switching the computer would effectively turn off the control of the main rebreather, which is probably their concern.

Id imagine switching the computer would effectively turn off the control of the main rebreather, which is probably their concern.
Isnt that the same thing as saying "Whatever you do don't Bailout" :) I.E. not the smartest advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom