• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bailout rebreather?

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by Thrutch, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Dsix36

Dsix36 Solo Diver

Anyone who has actually been deep enough for the CMF to stop flowing will already know that the need to add in order to keep the PO2 up is both very minimal and very far between additions. A small offboard tank of "rich" diluent is all that is needed.

As to using a bailout rebreather - it can make these dives both easier and more complicated at the same time. It is not an foolproof answer and requires a h**l of a lot of faith in your skills and equipment. Using them without first doing a lot of practice, trial, emergency, test dives first will most definitely not end in a favorable manner.

cathal, Heat Miser, beldridg and 2 others like this.
  2. marsh9077

marsh9077 Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    This is the first I have heard of this and I know ALOT of people that dive Apeks regs both for bail out's and dil/O2 supply. I would be curious to see some post about what the exact failure is and some pictures as well?? I have never had a problem with Apeks seats nor have I heard any other fellow divers complain about them and I have about a dozen Apeks regs that all use the same seat so I have gone through alot of HP seats but never had any fail. Maybe it was just a bad batch of plastic for a specific manufacture run???? I would agree maybe worth starting a new thread, I am very interested to know more about this.

Only issue I have noticed over the years of using Apeks regs is the diaphragms. I find with high He mixes say 70%+ it seems that the He leaks past the diaphragm and bubbles out the environmental seal so your reg looks like it has a environmental seal tumor/zit. During lots of use about 1-2 a month I have to relive the tumor pressure from all my deep bailouts by unscrewing the eviro cap and when I do you can hear the gas hiss out.

Oooo Ooooo :happywave::happywave::happywave: Ill take them if you do, message me. Those US4's are hard to come by outside the EU.

1c3d1v3r likes this.
  3. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    This is just what prompted my post!