Balance Chamber Identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey @couv !
Still working this parts ID thing for Bryan. Can you or anyone identify what reg this belongs to? I know I've seen it before, but just can't remember where. It's almost certainly Scubapro, but...

Thanks!
15351493732811207922544640933263.jpg

I have a metal barrel version of the SP G500 with that balance chamber.

Thanks! I'll check my diagrams. Appreciate the help!

I think Kupu may be on to something. Could this be the mystery part in the attachment?

Attachments

• 39 G 500 AND S 600 BALANCE CHAMBER ASSEMBLY.pdf
    315.7 KB · Views: 64
I have not come across a diagram showing the original version of the G500 which uses this balance chamber. I just noticed a post of yours (rsingler) from Aug. 2017 with a picture of a page showing differences between the original and new version of the G500. The old version G500 is a recent purchase for me, and I have been having trouble getting the lever height set correctly. The page shown it your post seems to show a different poppet than what I have, and wonder if that is part of the issue...

If anyone has any or knows where to find diagrams or literature on the old version?

Edit. Thanks couv for your file!

The page shown it your post seems to show a different poppet than what I have, and wonder if that is part of the issue...

Kupu,

I'm pretty sure that, with the exception of the X650, all SP flow through balanced poppet second stages now use the same s-wing poppet. The X650 uses a poppet very similar, but it's shorter. It's also possible to have a bad lever or spring.

Edit: @Kupu attached is the oldest (1997) diagram I have of the G500, it shows the early version of the s-wing poppet with only one balance chamber o-ring.

Attachments

• G500-1997-05.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
I think Kupu may be on to something. Could this be the mystery part in the attachment?

The balance chamber on the old version does not have the threaded shaft shown in the file.

I attached a copy of the photo rsingler posted in another thread, showing the old version balance chamber and the older type poppet. I am guessing on mine the old poppet was upgraded to the s-wing and that should not be a problem. I might start another thread later if I can't sort it out, but don't want to hijack.

Attachments

• 20170801_184728.jpg
    20170801_184728.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 69
@Kupu There is an important note re levers in the attachment you and rsingler posted. Make sure if you're using the newer poppet, i.e. with a replaceable seat, that you are using the "curly foot" lever with it.

The one on the left:

full?d=1275002532.jpg

Here is an interesting diagram that shows both balance chamber and poppet combinations:

Attachments

• G500-1998-06.pdf
    884 KB · Views: 255
Bingo, G500-1998-06.pdf shows the USA version balance chamber that we are looking for. Nice.

Couv, I have the middle lever shown in your post # 8 photo. That might be my problem, I will try to find a curly foot lever and see if that fixes my issue. Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom