balanced reg diy lp seat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
Could somebody set me straight. I have been reading through the posts trying to identify a balanced reg that will use the diy lp punced awap style seat. As far as I understand there isn't one?

I'm most happy to report it works great: one month after I fitted the modified awap seat, the cracking pressure is exactly where I set it: 22mm/.9in of water.

OTOH, most balanced seconds seats are interchangeable, see this thread. So if you can find a source for, say the Trident A148, you're good for the Apeks's, Aqualung's and Scubapro's, and possibly others.

Just bear in mind the tiny o-rings for the poppet are almost as hard to source as the seats.

Last edited:
........Just bear in mind the tiny o-rings for the poppet are almost as hard to source as the seats.

If we're talking about the ScubaPro S-wing poppet balance chamber o-rings, they are 2.2mm i.d. X 1.0mm c.s. A while back the Usual Suspects order some FKM (Viton) seals from PAI. Part Number 40-878706 Precision Associates Inc. | Custom Seals, Rubber Seals & HNBR Seals Note the metric size has been converted to "Merican."

Last edited:
Is there any way the "usual suspects" can maybe make a list of the best treads to look at for a newbe. There is alot of excellent info in these threads but it is scattered all over the place. It would also be great to have a sticky for the latest versions of some of the attachments. For example I am unsure if I have the latest in oring info and such.

Ams, Tell us what sort of info you're interested in & what are you rebuilding. The best o-ring info is on the annotated files we put together. PM me with an email address where you can receive PDF files and I'll send you what I have.

But for servicing your regulator, the first thing is to start off with a service manual or two. Both service manuals usually discussed here are great; Vance Harlow's "SCUBA Regulator Maintenance and Repair" SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

and the Scuba Tools book, "Regulator Savvy" Scuba Tools are well worth the money.
I own both and recommend getting one of each; but if you're dead set on getting only one, then Vance's is a little more suitable for the DIY guy while the ScubaTools book is more suitable for the shop worker. ScubaTools has some pretty handy tools too, so if you do order from there, pay a few extra bucks and get the bullets, spanners, and regulator specific tools that you'll need with your first order and save on shipping. Get a few old regulators like the ones you'll be servicing from eBay or Craig's list and practice. After just one or two seasons of servicing your own gear, you'll have recovered your investment. While you're waiting for your books to come in, page through a few of the manuals found here:

www.juhahaanpera.com/regulatormanual.htm

www.frogkick.dk/manuals/

Good luck,

Couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom