• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DIR- GUE Balanced Rig Concept

Discussion in 'DIR' started by arthurng311, Oct 8, 2019.

1. arthurng311

arthurng311 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    High all!

I am a predominantly tech 1 warm water diver from asia, due to this, i have never needed to use a weight belt in my diving. The coldest i have dove was 18 degrees and that was manageable with just V weights.

I will be going to dive in colder conditions (400 gr undergarment) soon and would like to ask how do you guys distribute your weight? Hypothetically if i need to dump my weight due to a wing failure at depth, i might become too positive to hold my last stops? How do you guys go about rigging your kit to circumvent this issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. elmo

elmo DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If you're diving a drysuit, you have redundant buoyancy. No need to carry ditchable weights.

3. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

I dive drysuit and I wear my weights in a belt as it is so simply and easy.

4. helodriver87

helodriver87 DIR Practitioner

I dive dry with a 400 for long cave dives. I use large steel doubles (Worthington 108s for trimix, Faber LP120s for nitrox) and a steel plate. That seems to be enough, even with multiple empty stages and near empty doubles. Granted, that's in freshwater and I'm pretty lean. So you may want a V weight if you're not going to be in a similar situation. I occasionally use one when I dive dry in the ocean. I don't make any of my weight ditchable when I'm dry.

5. flymolo

flymolo DIR Practitioner

If diving cold water, steel tanks, and a drysuit with thick undergarments, a couple pounds tail weight (3-4) should be sufficient to counteract the way tanks can get butt-light as they empty

6. AJ

AJ Solo Diver

400gr undergarment with 4kg of V-weight, D12 and steel backplate. No problem with drysuit, no need to dump weight. I'am weighed neutral with 30 bar at 3 metres.

7. CAPTAIN SINBAD

What do you guys use to clip the weight to your tanks? Does anyone have a link?

8. flymolo

flymolo DIR Practitioner

I put a 3-4 pound soft weight in the bottom pouch of this:
    Extreme Exposure

I've also just tied a piece of string through a 4 pound hard weight and literally hung it from the lower bolt on a set of double 80s

9. CAPTAIN SINBAD

10. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

CAPTAIN SINBAD likes this.