Balanced Rig - GUE - NEWB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuits are far cheaper than a drysuit and can resist damage much more easily than a drysuit. When was the last time you saw a wetsuit diver scrub a dive because of a leak? A flooded drysuit can be just as catastrophic as a BCD failure. You dive the gear, the gear shouldn’t be diving you.

It's not about missing a dive because of a leak. If your priorities are straight, there are more positives of the drysuit than the inherent negatives of which there are so few, so don't be a grimbo grief by focusing on the negatives. Let's not forget drysuits (especially the good ones :wink: ) have extended the limits of diving forever. To be safe, comfortable, and to have redundant buoyancy at depth - drysuits are the way. Tri-lam for deep (and shallow) and neoprene for only shallow dives. Drysuits help us far more than wetsuits for the reasons @johnkendall stated.

It's not about missing a dive because of a leak. If your priorities are straight, there are more positives of the drysuit than the inherent negatives of which there are so few, so don't be a grimbo grief by focusing on the negatives. Let's not forget drysuits (especially the good ones :wink: ) have extended the limits of diving forever. To be safe, comfortable, and to have redundant buoyancy at depth - drysuits are the way. Tri-lam for deep (and shallow) and neoprene for only shallow dives. Drysuits help us far more than wetsuits for the reasons @johnkendall stated.
I have drysuit, so I am not anti-drysuit. It just is not always the right choice for every diver in every situation. For the Great Lakes or colder climates, they are great, but for a lot of divers they are cost prohibitive. I still dive wet during the summer, unless it is going to be deep. The drysuit opens up my season earlier and lets it go later. But, if I lived farther south, I would not have spent the money. A top drawer drysuit and all the accessories, like rock boots and fins, undergarments, weight harness can easily add up to another $2k.

Drysuits are great, but they get very pricey very quickly. One of the hardest negatives on a drysuit to get past is the cost.

I have drysuit, so I am not anti-drysuit. It just is not always the right choice for every diver in every situation. For the Great Lakes or colder climates, they are great, but for a lot of divers they are cost prohibitive. I still dive wet during the summer, unless it is going to be deep. The drysuit opens up my season earlier and lets it go later. But, if I lived farther south, I would not have spent the money. A top drawer drysuit and all the accessories, like rock boots and fins, undergarments, weight harness can easily add up to another $2k.

Drysuits are great, but they get very pricey very quickly. One of the hardest negatives on a drysuit to get past is the cost.
I agree with you. They are pricey and are not necessarily needed. They are an essential for proper diving and a luxury for some diving but in general increase safety and comfort.

7.5kg plus the weight of gas in a reasonable single 11-16L (range) really isn't that hard to swim up. Its downright hard to be so negative in a single that you can't swim it up. A 7mm wetsuit with a single tank, 15 lb belt, and SS plate isn't some crazy suicide machine.

Doubles are a different story of course.

Having implemented most of the test/suggestions here. I think this summarises most succinctly the answer to my my original question.

As a single tank diver it was not a big issue to swim up the steel tank, with a wing failure. However I guess its a function of swimming ability. In fact I had a wing failure in February and to be honest I didn't notice it, my buddy pointed it out whilst we were hanging in the safety stop.

I also had a recent situation where I overshot the dive boat by 100m (320 feet), in a 2.5 knot current and we were 20k's (12.5 miles) out from land. A DSMB is extremely useful - particularly to hold onto at surface, whilst the tender picked us up.

Having moved more into doubles recently a lot of the comments become more relevant. In Western Australia steel tanks are more common than Ally 80's so their negative buoyancy characteristics at the end of dive, plus a combination of thick wetsuit would make a wing failure at depth harder to manage.

I'll have a think about saving up for a drysuit. Thanks for all your responses :) I hope you guys get back in the water soon.

OP, the summary is: Diving heavy steel doubles, safely, warrants the use of a drysuit. Get something that won’t change buoyancy at depth, non compressible. Otherwise your rig with steel doubles will not be balanced and in the event of buoyancy loss, you are having a bad day whether you can blow a dsmb up quickly or grab a buddy etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom