Bali opening?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still hopeful for a Bali and Wakatobi opening for our planned trip this fall. The issue we're finding is booking with the airlines right now as they are either canceling flights or selling out so fast we can't get a seat. Hopeful, but uncertain for sure.
I have the same hopes for travel in late October. I have tickets for Komodo, Raja Ampat and Triton Bay.

BUT, the current vaccination numbers don't look good.

I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations. . .

Indonesia is doing about 148,000 vaccinations/day (16 day average). Figure 141 days to mid-October, that is about 21 million vaccinations. That plus the ~16 million today gives you about 14% of the population (guessing the population is about 272 million).

Something very dramatic needs to change, particularly since the virus is going to continue to mutate and a vaccine-resistant strain is not a matter of "if" but "when"

I have the same hopes for travel in late October. I have tickets for Komodo, Raja Ampat and Triton Bay.

Indonesia is doing about 148,000 vaccinations/day (16 day average). Figure 141 days to mid-October, that is about 21 million vaccinations. That plus the ~16 million today gives you about 14% of the population (guessing the population is about 272 million).

Something very dramatic needs to change, particularly since the virus is going to continue to mutate and a vaccine-resistant strain is not a matter of "if" but "when"

They are not rolling out the vaccines universally. They started in Jakarta with the gov't and moved out from there. They are working on "bubbles" in Bali. Luckily my apartment is in one of the bubbles, so my fiance was able to get her vaccine. Just got the second dose this past Monday.

Bali is running into several logistical problems with the roll out. It's going to be much more difficult to reach some of the other islands and villages.

Some recent numbers: KawalCovid19.id posts show A) total tests for 27 May were 62,386 with 10.1% positive, and
1f60e.png
vaccination data for 27 May show a total of 15,851,702 people have received their first dose and 10,428,151 people have received their second dose, with a 7-day average of 320,918 doses administered daily.
The president repeatedly stated that the daily number should go up to 1 million. But until now that is wishful thinking.

Where do they get all those vaccines between now and end of Oct?

Unless Indonesia decides to open up to fully vaccinated person otherwise your chance is very slim.

Good luck.

Kawalcovid has a counter that shows how many people have been vaccinated. Informasi Terkini COVID-19 di Indonesia | KawalCOVID19

There are also clinical trials for treatments on people who have Covid-19. Some trials are promising in reducing symptoms and further transmission. With a little luck someone will come up with a decent treatment that will give some extra ammunition in the fight against Covid-19. If a good treatment is found then maybe we don't need to wait until we reach 70% herd immunity.

Let's hope Indonesia can re-open soon.

We agree this time. It looks extremely bad. Either economical disaster or healthcare disaster. Probably both.
Guessing I should postpone my planned trip to Indonesia (Wakatobi) in October as the country won't be open by that time and it's already been difficult to get flights over there.

Back
Top Bottom