Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
to all you Bali visitors, has any one been to the north west coast and dove Palau Menjangan. It's supposed to be the best dive in Bali, but probably the least visited as its so far from the Hub towns.

If so please give me a little review, is it worth the trek up there?

Not really. A nice reef but nothing special. There are better dives in Bali. If you staying nearby definitely worth doing but would not make the trip just to do a dive.

I agree with Darnold9999. Nice wall, but in my opinion the better dives in Bali are near Tulamben, Padang Bai , and Nusa Penida. I must say the north of Bali is breathtakingly beautiful and worth a few days though. But the diving --good but not great.

I've heard the snorkeling is great at Menjangan though, does anyone have experience with there or the other places mentioned?

Menjangan is OK. If you go that far, might as well visit Secret Bay for muck diving.

Also staying in Mimpi Resort is nice. I'd pick the bungalow that has hot spring piped up to the jacuzzi right in front of your bed room. That's a super relaxing after 3-dive day tour.

yIMG_3300.JPG

You might see those striped catfish poking out of a small wooden boat wreck in Secret Bay.

Menjangan brings boatloads of snorkelers and divers staying in th northwest of Bali. it's mosty wall dives, and while the coral is oK, it seems like dramatically lacking fish.
After lunchtime this small island looks like a dump. I've been diving for years in Bali, and woudn't go back diving the northwest.

Like others said, there are better places to dive in Bali, Lembongan/Penida for corals and fish, Padang Bai for advanced diving on Giili Tepekong and Mimpang (Loads of fish), Tulamben for macro and the LIberty wreck. I wouldnt bother drive 5 hrs for going to Menjangan if I were to stay in other places in Bali.

Menjangan brings boatloads of snorkelers and divers staying in th northwest of Bali. it's mosty wall dives, and while the coral is oK, it seems like dramatically lacking fish.
After lunchtime this small island looks like a dump. I've been diving for years in Bali, and woudn't go back diving the northwest.

Like others said, there are better places to dive in Bali, Lembongan/Penida for corals and fish, Padang Bai for advanced diving on Giili Tepekong and Mimpang (Loads of fish), Tulamben for macro and the LIberty wreck. I wouldnt bother drive 5 hrs for going to Menjangan if I were to stay in other places in Bali.

Is the land area pretty enough (e.g. "breathtakingly beautiful") to warrant a trip from Ubud?

- Bill

Is the land area pretty enough (e.g. "breathtakingly beautiful") to warrant a trip from Ubud?

- Bill
Well my answer for YOU -living for a long time in Ubud- is that it would be a shame not traveling/diving NorthWest of Bali.
I think you should dive everything that comes avaialble in Bali, even the crappy dives... :D
I wouldn't say NW Bali is "breathtaking beautiful" there are too many scammers and tour buses in this part of Bali that are probably concealing the beauty of the places to my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom