Balmorhea pool closed for repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I am guessing that divers might have see this sooner, except they'd avoid the diving board area.

"Damage to the concrete apron under the diving board was found during the pool’s annual cleaning this week, and park officials are evaluating the extent of the damage and taking steps to repair the structure, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department announced in a release Thursday."

See Balmorhea pool closed pending repairs

Did my Rescue diving in-water there.

I did my OW, some of my AOW, and Rescue there. I doubt that any part is 25 feet deep. I stopped by just for a look on the way back from Big Bend NP a couple of years back. The state park system takes really good care of it.

Not sure if you caught this at the end of the article. It looks like they don't yet have the money to do the repairs and are asking for help:

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation (TPWF) has established a fund to accept donations towards the structural repairs that are needed to reopen the pool. These donations will help ensure that Texans can continue to enjoy this historic spring-fed swimming pool and unique West Texas destination for generations come.

Donations can be submitted online through the TPWF’s website: http://www.tpwf.org/balmorhea/.

TPWD is the red-headed stepchild of the State of Texas.
Yep, denying the parks needed funds seems popular among the legislators. I googled "texas state parks funding" looking for a particular issue, and there are so many articles listed there. State law provides that sales taxes on sporting goods are supposed to mostly go to parks with a small portion to historic sites, but they still are choking that source. Already pinched, Texas parks not getting promised state money

I searched a few parks downstate last night thinking it might be nice to book early for spring break, six months in advance, and was surprised to see that some parks were sold out for that week already. I did manage to book two tent sites at Garner. It's our oldest and most popular, with hundreds of tent sites, so while I didn't get the section I wanted, we do have a couple in a cheaper section that will suffice. Nearby Lost Maples and Hill Country State Natural Areas are being developed from what I saw on a tour I made last spring, and we'll do day trips to both of those I think. The 20 mile scenic drive from Leakey to Lost Maples was a pleasant surprise.

The TPWD Game Wardens are also perennially underfunded, which is why us volunteers from the Texas Maritime Regiment was supplementing them on area lakes and on their dive team. Working with their dive team (at the time 9 guys to cover the entire state!) was a wonderful experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom