Baltimore or Annapolis Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey bt7csr-I have a buddy w/ a boat that we dive off of during the summer. We are out of Rehoboth Beach. He prefers shallow dives and enjoys the shoals and other inshore flounder spots. He may be willing to bring an extra person if you're interested in late July. Shoals are 25-35'. We do spearfish though in case that freaks you out.

That sounds pretty awesome. I don't spearfish, but I'd definitely be up for going. Maybe it'll make me want to get into spearfishing. I'll be in Bethany 7/30 -8/5. If you go during that time and don't mind a third person, count me in! Also, if you know of any other decent places to shore dive within an hour or so of Bethany, I'd appreciate the info! I plan on at least one dive per day while I'm there.

I was so excited to move back to the east coast after 5 years of quarry diving in Illinois. Even though it's shallow and sandy, I'd still love to check out the shore diving.

Are you in DC? I'm not unreasonably far. Any interest in diving in the chesapeake?

I'm just outside DC in Maryland. I'm absolutely interested! I'm around most weekends. Do you have a flag? I left mine in MA.

Sure do. One of those float/flag combo's with writing "diver below."

Are you in DC? I'm not unreasonably far. Any interest in diving in the chesapeake?

Do you know of a place? Most of the shops I've talked with don't know of a place.

I've not been yet, but I have been scouting. I know of two places we could likely get in the water, both are private property on the water. One is off of Tilghman Island, and the other is, I think, about halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis. I don't know the depths in the areas yet. Need to check. It seems to me that diving in the bay is more about which places to avoid than where one "can go." My plan is to start diving from a kayak so I can get to places of interest to me, without long swims or long hikes. I'd like to start with the bay near sandy point park, right near the bay bridge. It's a well known swim spot, but I haven't yet found out the legalities. I was planning to meetup with someone here a week or two ago, but my darn car broke down and left me stranded. Hopefully it'll be fixed when I get back from the beach.

Speaking of the beach, I'm at Bethany beach, DE until Friday. If anyone is around and wants to shore dive, today through Friday, let me know. I have a place to park, one block from the beach. Send me a message if you can make it and we'll go. I even have a cart we can use to haul the gear to the beach.

Hello Bt7csr,
I can provide a little insight to diving around Sandy Point and the Bay Bridge. I worked 5 years as a marine police officer out of the Annapolis area and patrolled the area you are considering for diving. In my opinion it is not suitable for recreational diving. The swimming area off Sandy point beach is a state park and roped off. No diving is allowed there. The pilings around the bay bridge might be of interest, but in general the bottom composition in that area is featureless and muck/sand. The depths range only 5-14ft going out approximately 800 yards from shore to where you then get into the 20-30 foot range, and then out into the large commercial vessel channel which is roughly the 80 ft range. (don't want to be out in the large vessel channel lol) The area around Sandy Point is heavily trafficked by recreational boaters and fisherman as well as the commercial waterman working the area. Crab pots and lines are a concern and the pilings around the bay bridge hold popular with the recreational fishing bunch. The best visibility in that area is generally in mid winter. We never employed divers in the area for searches but relied upon long lines, or drag bars for recoveries. The visibility just isn't good along with currents. (generally around 2-3 ft best) Being a Maryland diver, I know its frustrating not having good saltwater diving nearby that is accessible given we have such a large Bay and rivers. I've found the best ocean diving is off OC. There are a couple of charters that go out to the wrecks and artificial reefs which generally have good sealife, corals, and sometimes 30+ ft visibility. I've never tried it, but heard you can dive off Calvert Cliffs. It's possible to find fossils there. Maybe someone will chime in with experience there.

Best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom