Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No we put cloth on them and now they have us "For" dinner instead of us being dinner! You will love it, one of my favorite place in the world and they have bananas too! :popcorn:

I brought a banana on board for my very first boat dive and when the captain saw me open it up he was shocked and told me to get rid of it. I thought he was totally kidding at first then figured out he was dead serious. As I was a guest on his boat, I complied by tossing it overboard - hey, no need to get all worked up over not eating a banana, right? Once the banana was gone everything and everyone went back to normal and the captain explained that bananas on boats are considered bad luck.

While I'm not overly superstitious myself, it was no skin off of my nose to respect the boat crew's superstitions and traditions as it doesn't involve bringing harm to anyone. Life is way too short to get upset over something like this...

I is just as rude to request that someone follow a unreasonable request!

BTW I have more insurance and I am older than you, so drop away!

papa bear you claim to be an older (and i'm assuming more mature/knowledgable) gentleman than some of the other guys on here, yet you haven't figured out that people often make seemingly unreasonable requests of others. even at my advanced age of 29 (yah, i know there are quite a few who would consider me a young whippersnapper still), i've come to realize that it happens frequently. while i agree that in some instances it can be rude for the person to make such a request, still i find that if i can get what i want (e.g., a good dive trip sans extraneous drama apropos of a pissed off/freaked out captain) by complying with a trivial request, i'll do it.

maybe it's a generational issues--since my generation has been trained by the government from an early age to surrender our rights at the drop of a hat. or it's a matter of lacking experience and maturity so that i'm a little more willing to go along with trivial requests. perhaps it's a personal thing due to me being comfortable in my own skin. possibly, it's because i'm not out to prove that i have a 6' python in my shorts. be that as it may, i choose not to make a big deal about something trivial.

but being a young guy who frequently looks to his elders for advice and wisdom, perhaps you can enlighten me as to why i should make mountains out of molehills, or make chemical weapons bunkers out of pharmaceutical manufacturers. :)

No aspirin factories here, but just another brick in the wall! The man who stands by and watchs the mob will someday be the target of the Mob! This is 2008 and I pay hard earned money to pay to be the customer, passenger, and Diver on a pay for vacation boat and the customer deserves treated properly putting aside superstition and voodoo over a fruit! I touch no other man without their permission and I expect the same! If you ask me and there is a good reason you might get my banana, but don't ever try to take my banana or you might find it in your tail pipe! Respect is earned and manners are practiced! :popcorn: I also have good lawyer!

I brought a banana on board for my very first boat dive and when the captain saw me open it up he was shocked and told me to get rid of it. I thought he was totally kidding at first then figured out he was dead serious. As I was a guest on his boat, I complied by tossing it overboard - hey, no need to get all worked up over not eating a banana, right? Once the banana was gone everything and everyone went back to normal and the captain explained that bananas on boats are considered bad luck.

While I'm not overly superstitious myself, it was no skin off of my nose to respect the boat crew's superstitions and traditions as it doesn't involve bringing harm to anyone. Life is way too short to get upset over something like this...

Did he also tell you that women are also bad luck on ships? What if he asked you to jump over board? Would you comply? Tell him to grow up and rub his luck rabbits foot, throw some salt over his shoulder and bite the head of a mackerel off!

Like I said "...as it doesn't involve bringing harm to anyone." So I complied b/c it really isn't that big of a deal to me to lose my banana and it didn't cause harm to anyone, including myself. I think I was more surprised and curious than offended. No need to get all offended, now is there? Now if he asked me to jump overboard, that would be a different story!

Seriously...his boat, his rules and that's okay with me, even if I am a paying guest. As long as the rules/requests are not outrageous and/or would cause harm to someone I'm okay. Kind of like when you go to a nice restaurant that requires a jacket - well, that's their rules and even though I am paying to dine there, I have to follow their rules.

BTW, is biting the head of a mackerel off also a bad-luck superstition thing?

You'll get my banana when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers!
My little Irish Great Grandmother would not let us whistle on Sundays b/c it would steal the wind from sailors. We complied out of respect and fear of her fast and mean backhand.

Love the cartoon!!!

It is well known bad luck for mariners to have bannanas onboard. Sorry, no bannanas on my boat either. Better please the sea gods. They are more important that you.

You know, it surprises me people don't know these things, they should be part of dive training, boat ettiquette etc. When you are on a boat, the skipper is the law and the boat is like his home, if he don't like bannanas onboard, better get oranges, that would include you guys, that or don't get on the boat, your not in charge, the skipper is.

Here are more borrowed from a boating site:

1. Bananas on board are bad luck (or anything referencing)
2. Do not look back when leaving port (bad luck)
3. Women on board are bad luck? (don't agree here)
4. Never start a voyage the first Monday in April
5. Never step on board with your left foot.
7. pouring wine on board is good luck. (offering to gods)
8. Bad luck to harm mola mola (ocean sunfish)
9. Church Bells heard on ship means someone will die.
10. Dolphins swimming with the boat are good luck

Sharks following a boat are a sign of impending death, red sky at night, sailor's delight, red sky in the morning, sailors take warning. There are tons more like not renaming a vessal without performing certain rituals.

N

11. Don't shoot an albatross. (Death and Life-in Death will play dice for your soul.)

How long in that same fit I lay,
I have not to declare ;
But ere my living life returned,
I heard and in my soul discerned
Two voices in the air.
`Is it he ?' quoth one, `Is this the man ?
By him who died on cross,
With his cruel bow he laid full low
The harmless Albatross.

The spirit who bideth by himself
In the land of mist and snow,
He loved the bird that loved the man
Who shot him with his bow.'

The other was a softer voice,
As soft as honey-dew :
Quoth he, `The man hath penance done,
And penance more will do.'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/