Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Myth, tradition, superstition, religion, whatevvvvver..........
Hi , I recently went on a charter vessel,I packed my own lunch which included a bananna, once the skipper saw me unpack and about to consume my bananna he snatched it out of my hands and threw it overboard claiming it to be bad luck and then demanded that if anyone else had a bananna to do the same and he wasn't mucking around, I was pretty amused by the whole ordeal and told a few friends later and they had all heard of it before but didn'tknow the story behind the myth,Just wondering if anyone does?
Where was this, anyway? Have you been boat diving long? And about this "...he snatched it out of my hands and threw it overboard claiming it to be bad luck..." I wonder if that was an especially accurate description or a lose one, perhaps maybe embellished a little...?

I was surprised to see bananas on a Blackbears the one time I tried the liveaboard-from-hell company. Gawd talk about a bad week... :11:

just to be clear is this banana thing only among charters in the Americas? or geographically spread? coz I recall a live aboard in Malaysia for 3 nights they served us bananas with other tropical fruits in every meal. (3 per day) we (divers) were from several nationalities and no one hinted about this!

We were always given bananas during our boat trips with the operators I've used in Cozumel. To our complete and utter astonishment.............every trip went without incident. However, 4 years after one of these trips, I came down with a sinus infection............related? :D

I was recently diving in Myrtle Beach and got this explanation. In the old days, sailing craft transported bananas up the coast. People would go down to the beach after a big blow, and if they saw bananas that meant a ship had sunk in the storm.

Nobody got their bananas tossed overboard, but every time one appeared it was noted.

I guess it is tradition among stupid back water yellow necks with pea soup for brains! I wouldn't want to be on a boat who's captain had mush for brains! The banana is not the problem, the moron at the wheel is!

Women were considered bad luck for 2500 years or more! So what if the captain said no females on his ship? Same stupid custom, tradition, or whatever you want to call it, just a different out come! Not a stupid question at all, just like the old tradition of eating those killed in battle! Or burning people in effigy for drawing cartoons of Mohomad! No difference the same lack of tolerance, that would make me toss my banana! But there are those that practice the politics of appeasement and those who know it doesn't WORK! :popcorn:

i wonder if twinkies were initially banned on boats, since they were first made with banana-flavored filling.

Can you imagine what would happen if the Captain said "No Fruits aboard his ship"! Half of San Fransisco would be up in arms! So stop picking on our yellow friend the banana! :shakehead:

We were always given bananas during our boat trips with the operators I've used in Cozumel. To our complete and utter astonishment.............every trip went without incident. However, 4 years after one of these trips, I came down with a sinus infection............related? :D
:lol:​
Just how do banana's get to us ralroad or ship after ship after-----.
See discussion on banana shipments above.
Women were considered bad luck for 2500 years or more! So what if the captain said no females on his ship?
See Helen of Troy, Vikings, Pirates discussion above. Again, women are not considered back luck on a ship unless they were kidnapped.

I would say see Courtesy discussion above but I can see it pointless. :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom