Bangka or Ambon after Lembeh in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tippytoes12

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear SBers

I am planning a return to wonderful wonderful Lembeh next February and contemplating where to go afterwards. Bangka would be obviously far easier to get to than Ambon and no degassing time would be required. I have a quote from Murex including transfers from Lembeh which seems fine. It would seem that the weather in Ambon might be better , but I also love reefs and having torn myself away from the searing heat of February in the UK ..not...a bit of beach time would be cool.

If anybody has been to both , or to either area and either loved or hated it, I would really appreciate an opinion.

Thanks in advance again.

Best fishes x

I've been to both....and love both lol sorry no help. I was on a LOB in Ambon so can't comment re Beach but had friends that were at dive into Ambon and enjoyed it. Bangka is very different diving from Lembeh and Ambon in not so muck centric. There's also a cruisey hammock to lie in and do nothing at Bangka which I really enjoyed. I guess Ambon would be the tick the critter place more of the two but as you say, an extra flight there and back. Sorry that wasn't much help at all was it lol!

I'm another Bangka fan (although never been to Ambon...so cant compare) but I'd say just stick to the area. You may be able to organise the dive resort on Bangka to pick you up in a boat and then you could possibly do a few dives on the way to Bangka.... just a thought.
Murex and Blue Bay Divers both have stunning beaches on Bangka!

This is the beach at Blue Bay...

9419715990_fddedd8cba_k.jpg
DSC00992 (1) by Angmo Al, on Flickr

Attachments

• 9419715990_4fc6f93042_b.jpg
    9419715990_4fc6f93042_b.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
In feb I would ratther go to Ambon, Bangka is open to the western winds coming right trhough the strait.
Other than rainy days, it may prevent you from diving some of the best sites.

Feb is near to optimal for Ambon, now it depens on whether you want to dive muck some more or if you need a dose of corals.
You might as well chose to stay in the outer islands like Saparua where you'll have some beachtime (check out Cape Paperu)

February is a great month to come to the East Coast of Halmahera. Fully protected against the North-west winds. Great drop-offs, walls, slopes and more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom