Banjo Fitting & Modern SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the VDH banjo fitting USD Chrome Banjo Fitting [Chrome Banjo] - $35.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving but, of course, it is for a vintage pressure gauge - 3/8" fitting.

I also have the #RHAD Hose Adapter Two Hose Regulator Hoses Clamps Mouthpieces Duckbills Parts to convert the 3/8" fitting to 7/16".

However, the o-ring leaks when I pressurize it to 3000 psi. Has anyone else had a problem? If so, what is the solution?

Thanks
Richard

I have a similar adapter that I use with a PRAM, so far it works fine. I would inspect the mating surfaces carefully for problems and change the Oring.

I have the VDH banjo fitting USD Chrome Banjo Fitting [Chrome Banjo] - $35.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving but, of course, it is for a vintage pressure gauge - 3/8" fitting.

I also have the #RHAD Hose Adapter Two Hose Regulator Hoses Clamps Mouthpieces Duckbills Parts to convert the 3/8" fitting to 7/16".

However, the o-ring leaks when I pressurize it to 3000 psi. Has anyone else had a problem? If so, what is the solution?

Thanks
Richard

I don't follow????? what is leaking where?

N

I don't follow????? what is leaking where?

N

The air leaks past the o-ring and comes out where the adapter mates to the banjo.

As a very rough guess, it appears that the bevel for the o-ring in the banjo is machined too deep. This allows the adapter to bottom out before the o-ring is fully compressed.

When I use a regular HP port plug on the banjo, it seats quite far down and it doesn't leak.

Richard

Well, hmmm, never had that issue before. You might have to carefully reface the banjo port to make it more shallow by removing a small amount of material. You might also get a thicker O ring from my favorite LDS--Tractor Supply.

So, you are screwing an adapter into the banjo and then the LP hose into the adapter?

N

So, you are screwing an adapter into the banjo and then the LP hose into the adapter?

N

Typo? It is a HP hose for my SPG. That part works fine.

Good idea on the thicker o-ring. My LDS has drawers and drawers of o-rings.

I don't have a lathe so I am not keen on machining the banjo. If a larger o-ring doesn't solve the problem, I'll give VDH a call. I'm sure there is a solution. It works for others!

Richard

Typo? It is a HP hose for my SPG. That part works fine.

Good idea on the thicker o-ring. My LDS has drawers and drawers of o-rings.

I don't have a lathe so I am not keen on machining the banjo. If a larger o-ring doesn't solve the problem, I'll give VDH a call. I'm sure there is a solution. It works for others!

Richard

LOL, I would use a file, when I got my A&P (a royal PITA) we had to make an absolutely perfect cube two inches by two inches by two inches from a big, rough, chunk of aluminum. The cubes took most of us weeks as a spare time project. No perfect cube, no A&P. A man and a good file is a weapon. N

N

This problem is going to go away! Bryan at VDH says he hasn't heard of such a problem but, just in case, he is going to make up a fitting set that is known to work and send it to me. I'll send him mine to look at.

Not only are his rebuilt regulators a work of art, his customer service is just outstanding.

I'm really looking forward to having him rebuild my DA AM with the Phoenix nozzle.

Richard

This problem is going to go away! Bryan at VDH says he hasn't heard of such a problem but, just in case, he is going to make up a fitting set that is known to work and send it to me. I'll send him mine to look at.

Not only are his rebuilt regulators a work of art, his customer service is just outstanding.

I'm really looking forward to having him rebuild my DA AM with the Phoenix nozzle.

Richard

I have heard that before...actually, I can confirm the customer service part.

I service my own regulators, so I haven't directly seen his repair work, but I am sure that his reputation is well deserved.

I am happy to hear the good news, of course the customer service is top notch, it is vdh, our virtual lds.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom