Baracuda reef, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pidgiepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Leaving for Cozumel Wednesday....any info on dive conditions for the baracuda reef this week ? Will be our first time diving it and just wondering if spotted eagle rays are there and how good/bad the currents are.

Unfortunately, you won't know what the conditions are like until you get up there to the reefs. It changes day-to-day. The Northern reefs are known to have ripping currents (which explains why most dive ops won't take you unless they know your experienced). I spent all of last month in Cozumel and was given the opportunity to go to Barracuda and San Juan a couple of weeks ago with a group of friends. Unfortunately, my wife and I already had other dive plans (Maracaibo). They got back and said there was absolutely no current. They didn't say much about rays, but they all talked about the coral. They said it was simply "breathtaking". And this is from people who either live there full-time, or spend 4 or 5 months a year there in their condos and have dove up there many times over the years.

I dove Barracuda and San Juan last year. Great dives. Barracuda had the strongest current that I have ever dove in. It was also chaging, sometimes it would push us away from the wall and sometimes it pushed us downward. Intense. We saw spotted eagle rays and blacktips. The coral was also very healthy, big and full of color. The fish get hunted often and unlike the marine park, they don't come close to you or stick around long.

San Juan was like a green magic carpet ride. At the end of the dive there were massive barrel sponges that must be very old. We were doing our saftey stop and they were probably 150'+ below us, but the still looked huge.

Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the replies. My husband and I Dive with Martin two or three times a year, so I guess they will know if we are ready to take on the challenge. We've heard so many good things about the reef, that we really want to dive it. My husband is in great shape...but I'll probably end up in Cuba !!

i've been going down to czm annually for about 15 years. dive barracuda every trip. all dives, except one, we flew with the current. one of my buds actually likes to put out his arms like a hawk riding the currents. animal life there is like all the dives on czm only there is little chance to manuever against the current for closer view.
last may, the dm found a large shark under an overhang. the same guy mentioned above manuevered in next to him for a view. he spread his legs to get more stable. just then the shark rushed out and up between his legs brushing on the way by. he said it was a high pucker factor moment.
another friend brought his 20 year old college student daughter along last year and i was her buddy for the week. she likes to do acrobatics using bouyancy and drift. it is fun to watch. however, on barracuda i asked her not to do it. had visions of her getting blown away with me chasing.

WOW ! thanks VLKR...now I really want to dive baracuda reef. Sounds like a great time. You mentioned that "all your dives but one" you went with the current....just curious about what happened on that "one" dive??????
Hope to let everyone know how my baracuda dive was when I return....be it from Cozumel or Cuba!! LOL

on the one dive when we did not fly with the current, it was just a day when the current was not strong.

Whew--nice to know you haven't been to Cuba VLKR !!
thanks for the info and I hope to have a good report for you upon my return

Back
Top Bottom