Barbados and Passport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman once bubbled...
Need more friends to come along?? I would be happy to carry your camera for you!! You guys have gotten my interest up and I know nothing about the place. How does Barbados compair to the Bahamas and Bonaire? Lots of pesky street vendors like Freeport, Bahama? Or are you taking your life in your own hands like Jamacia? How about the cost of food and is it safe to drink the water? ...Just what I need, another place I want to go.

Though I can't compare to either Bahamas or Bonaire (though this time next month I can compare it to Bonaire hehehe), here goes:

-- very few real "street" vendors either in town, on the streets or on the beaches. They have to have a license if they do want to hawk their stuff, so it slows them down
-- as with any place, there are some areas that aren't so nice. Most of these "come out at night". The only day-time concern you have is if you drive through the cane fields, and misplace yourself. You may get robbed. This is something "new" -- and has really only started happening in the last few years.
- water is safe to drink from the taps
- food - as with any island nation, it is more than on a mainland country, but not totally out of wack. As it has become a more popular destination, the selection is large, and the availability is a lot better than when I first started going there.

I think June and Cathie really said it all.
It's a very nice place, beautiful resorts, and very wonderful people.
I hate to say anything bad.
So ..I'll just say while Cozumel and Bonaire are world class diving, Barbados is good diving ..not world class. Like Cathie said the wreck diving is better then the reef diving.
I have also been to the Bahamas and would say the diving is a bit better there too.
Don't mean to discourage anyone from going there. But if you want world class diving in the Caribbean, or Mexico, Bonaire, Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel are all better. IMHO

:)

Rooster,
Where have you decided to go?

Natasha once bubbled...
Rooster,
Where have you decided to go?

Ok now I am certain that Barbados will have to be missed because I want top notch diving, Been to Coz twice and love it, but I am thinking I would like to try somewhere else. The wife doesnt dive but loves Cozumel and the beach and fruity drinks. I would like both topside as well as below surface enjoyment, but must have great diving.
oh btw we are going to be going for at least 10 days and possibly 2 weeks, so we got to have more then just diving cuz she no dive senhor:D

Try Grand Cayman. There are some nice beaches, some things to do other than dive. The diving on the North Wall is very good and perhaps you could talk your wife into "the Sand Bar" - a shallow version of Stingray City where you can standup.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:D

Consider taking a cruise ship? This way you could see Barbados as a one day port ,and decide if you would want to spend more time there in the future. Or if you did a Western Caribbean itinerary you would see Cayman, have a day in beloved Cozumel, and such, too.
Most non divers find there is quite a lot to keep them busy on a ship.
There are ships that sail for 10 days, or if you wanted 14 days, you could do a back to back Eastern and Western Caribbean on several cruises.
Just an idea.
:)

Back
Top Bottom