Bare Reactive 7mm suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ukmc

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anybody know why Bare discontinued Reactive blue and red? Black does not show discontinued but is unavailable at LDS.
Are they coming out with a new line? I thought this one is pretty new. Is anyone aware of any problems with it. I am in a market for a flexible 7mm, that is not a bear (pun intended) to donn but yet warm enough to get in 46-48 degree water.
Thank you in advance for your input.

Does anybody know why Bare discontinued Reactive blue and red? Black does not show discontinued but is unavailable at LDS.
Are they coming out with a new line? I thought this one is pretty new. Is anyone aware of any problems with it. I am in a market for a flexible 7mm, that is not a bear (pun intended) to donn but yet warm enough to get in 46-48 degree water.
Thank you in advance for your input.
I also can’t answer your question about the BARE wetsuit but I can say, that’s really cold water, and really can’t be comfortably dove with a wetsuit. Some people can do it, but I think either they’re extreme outliers, or just full of you-know-what. If you can’t use a drysuit, you at least need to get a semidry. I dove 50 f in an 8 mil semidry and survived but wouldn’t say I enjoyed it.

for the price you’re paying for a reactive 7 mil, what about getting a neoprene drysuit? I just ordered my seaskin, made to order custom size, and basically the same price. The pound is so weak now, it’s a great time to buy out of the UK. I paid 575 USD for mine. And order to delivery time was just 6 weeks.

I believe Bare had a licensing deal to use the name Celliant, and that deal ended. So, the new all black (Titan) suit says it has "Ultrawarmth", instead of the blue and red suit's labeling as "Celliant". My Bare contact assures me it's exactly the same, just not using the trademarked name any more.

I have the 3 and 5mm versions in the newer black color. They are very nice (and warm) suits.

I have used my Reactive 5mm (with 7mm hood, 5mm boots, and 3mm gloves) in water down to 51 degrees for 50 minutes, with a max depth of 59', followed by a second dive in the same water for 71 minutes, with a max depth of 43'. I was cold, but not freezing. I did not get numb anywhere. I would say I am pretty cold-tolerant, though. I could probably dive a 7mm Reactive in water that is high 40s and be reasonably comfortable for a couple of normal recreational dives. However, while I could do it, I would not.

I reckon it's personal preference, but I like a 5mm wetsuit just fine and hate a 7mm. I have 2 7mm suits. I have worn them each less than a handful of times. Now that I have 2 good-fitting drysuits, I can't see myself ever wearing a 7mm again. To me, they cross the line into just too danged thick.

If I *were* really set on diving in water in the upper 40s, in not-a-drysuit, I would very likely get a semi-dry suit like the Hollis NeoTek. I've seen a lot of positive reviews of that suit and I don't remember ever seeing anyone say anything bad about it.

All that said, I agree with @drk5036. A Seaskin drysuit is very inexpensive and top quality - and made to measure. A Seaskin neoprene drysuit is very much like a wetsuit - only a little more loose and a lot warmer.

I have Seaskin suits in trilam (aka membrane) and compressed neoprene. They are both really great suits. For water in the 40s (or lower), I would use the trilam, since it has rings for dry gloves. In those water temps, it's my hands that end up making the difference for me on comfort. My hands would be really cold in 40-something water in wet gloves. You can get dry glove rings on a neoprene suit, but I did not. I specifically bought my neoprene drysuit to use in water that is warm enough for wet gloves (i.e. 50 and up).

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

I just got a blue/black one this week. Did not see any red/black though.

I believe Bare had a licensing deal to use the name Celliant, and that deal ended. So, the new all black (Titan) suit says it has "Ultrawarmth", instead of the blue and red suit's labeling as "Celliant". My Bare contact assures me it's exactly the same, just not using the trademarked name any more.

I have the 3 and 5mm versions in the newer black color. They are very nice (and warm) suits.

I have used my Reactive 5mm (with 7mm hood, 5mm boots, and 3mm gloves) in water down to 51 degrees for 50 minutes, with a max depth of 59', followed by a second dive in the same water for 71 minutes, with a max depth of 43'. I was cold, but not freezing. I did not get numb anywhere. I would say I am pretty cold-tolerant, though. I could probably dive a 7mm Reactive in water that is high 40s and be reasonably comfortable for a couple of normal recreational dives. However, while I could do it, I would not.

I reckon it's personal preference, but I like a 5mm wetsuit just fine and hate a 7mm. I have 2 7mm suits. I have worn them each less than a handful of times. Now that I have 2 good-fitting drysuits, I can't see myself ever wearing a 7mm again. To me, they cross the line into just too danged thick.

If I *were* really set on diving in water in the upper 40s, in not-a-drysuit, I would very likely get a semi-dry suit like the Hollis NeoTek. I've seen a lot of positive reviews of that suit and I don't remember ever seeing anyone say anything bad about it.

All that said, I agree with @drk5036. A Seaskin drysuit is very inexpensive and top quality - and made to measure. A Seaskin neoprene drysuit is very much like a wetsuit - only a little more loose and a lot warmer.

I have Seaskin suits in trilam (aka membrane) and compressed neoprene. They are both really great suits. For water in the 40s (or lower), I would use the trilam, since it has rings for dry gloves. In those water temps, it's my hands that end up making the difference for me on comfort. My hands would be really cold in 40-something water in wet gloves. You can get dry glove rings on a neoprene suit, but I did not. I specifically bought my neoprene drysuit to use in water that is warm enough for wet gloves (i.e. 50 and up).

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Stu...

The Hollis Neotek is not a good choice...they did most things right with the exception of the zipper...which is a standard wet suit zipper...

The zipper floods...the inner dam collects the water that flows through the zipper...the dam will fill...and water will flow over your shoulders and down your back...

The 7/8 BARE Velocity is a far superior semi-dry choice...Master T-Zip dry-suit zipper...dry suit wrist and ankle ''flip under'' glide-skin seals...

With the exception of the tiny bit of water that gets in around the hood when I turn my head...it's almost a dry suit...I use mine as a dry-suit backup...after 45 minutes at 100 ft...my tee shirt and trunks are still dry under-neath...the inner dam fully contains the few drops of water that sneak in around the hood...

My dry-suit is a DUI CF-200 custom tailored...I wouldn't wear anything else...

W.M...

Stu...

The Hollis Neotek is not a good choice...they did most things right with the exception of the zipper...which is a standard wet suit zipper...

The zipper floods...the inner dam collects the water that flows through the zipper...the dam will fill...and water will flow over your shoulders and down your back...

The 7/8 BARE Velocity is a far superior semi-dry choice...Master T-Zip dry-suit zipper...dry suit wrist and ankle ''flip under'' glide-skin seals...

With the exception of the tiny bit of water that gets in around the hood when I turn my head...it's almost a dry suit...I use mine as a dry-suit backup...after 45 minutes at 100 ft...my tee shirt and trunks are still dry under-neath...the inner dam fully contains the few drops of water that sneak in around the hood...

My dry-suit is a DUI CF-200 custom tailored...I wouldn't wear anything else...

W.M...

Well, the Hollis IS a "semi" dry...

What is the difference between your Velocity and a neoprene drysuit? It sounds the same as my neoprene drysuit except that my drysuit does not have an attached hood. I guess the Velocity doesn't have attached boots or socks. Otherwise, it sounds like a tight drysuit.

BTW, I just spec'ed out a well-optioned Seaskin compressed neoprene drysuit. Made to measure, with pockets and a couple of other basic options. $515 dollars (US)! Hard for me to imagine paying for a custom tailored DUI with that alternative... (especially since I really, really do not like Zip seals)

Well, the Hollis IS a "semi" dry...

What is the difference between your Velocity and a neoprene drysuit? It sounds the same as my neoprene drysuit except that my drysuit does not have an attached hood. I guess the Velocity doesn't have attached boots or socks. Otherwise, it sounds like a tight drysuit.

BTW, I just spec'ed out a well-optioned Seaskin compressed neoprene drysuit. Made to measure, with pockets and a couple of other basic options. $515 dollars (US)! Hard for me to imagine paying for a custom tailored DUI with that alternative... (especially since I really, really do not like Zip seals)

Hey Stu...

The Bare Velocity 7/8 semi does have an attached hood...the only way it could be any better than it is...is if it did not have an attached hood...and had the same ''glide-skin'' dry-suit neck seal as it does on the wrists and legs...it would then be a tight fitting dry-suit minus the valves...

The Sea-skin is definitely hard to beat taking nothing else into consideration but the price...

At $515. USD...when it comes time to replace the suit...it's very easy on the wallet...I wouldn't even both replacing a zipper on a $500. suit...toss it...and replace it...

I like a neoprene dry-suit...mine fits me like the suit in the attached photo...my light T-Max Heat three piece undergarment set...top/bottom/socks... keeps me toasty warm at 130 ft...in Great Lakes water in the 38/42 degree F range...no problem...my bottom times with either the rebreather or the large cylinders are usually no less than 45 minutes...my neck seals are also neoprene...nice and warm...very durable...I don't wear dry-gloves...I wear Waterproof G1/5 mm/five finger/semi-dry...they seal/zip up tight over the suit's wrist seals...and work like magic...

Best...Warren...

DUI 222.jpg

GLOVES.png

Hey Stu...

The Bare Velocity 7/8 semi does have an attached hood...the only way it could be any better than it is...is if it did not have an attached hood...and had the same ''glide-skin'' dry-suit neck seal as it does on the wrists and legs...it would then be a tight fitting dry-suit minus the valves...

The Sea-skin is definitely hard to beat taking nothing else into consideration but the price...

At $515. USD...when it comes time to replace the suit...it's very easy on the wallet...I wouldn't even both replacing a zipper on a $500. suit...toss it...and replace it...

I like a neoprene dry-suit...mine fits me like the suit in the attached photo...my light T-Max Heat three piece undergarment set...top/bottom/socks... keeps me toasty warm at 130 ft...in Great Lakes water in the 38/42 degree F range...no problem...my bottom times with either the rebreather or the large cylinders are usually no less than 45 minutes...my neck seals are also neoprene...nice and warm...very durable...I don't wear dry-gloves...I wear Waterproof G1/5 mm/five finger/semi-dry...they seal/zip up tight over the suit's wrist seals...and work like magic...

Best...Warren...

View attachment 574954

View attachment 574958

Sounds like a great setup. Except, I couldn't do those water temps without my dry gloves. 3mm are not warm enough and 5mm take away too much dexterity for my liking. My dry gloves are warm and they let me retain better dexterity than even 3mm wet gloves.

Sounds like a great setup. Except, I couldn't do those water temps without my dry gloves. 3mm are not warm enough and 5mm take away too much dexterity for my liking. My dry gloves are warm and they let me retain better dexterity than even 3mm wet gloves.

Hey Stu...

You would think that with 5 mm...but the allowed dexterity with these gloves is amazing...no problem at all activating computer buttons...

My primary concern in selecting the G1 gloves was to not have to touch/modify/alter in any way the neoprene wrist seals on my suit... to still be able to keep my hands toasty warm for our northern conditions...and still maintain decent dexterity...full marks for filling all three requirements...

The long neck 7 mm Waterproof H1 hood...works just as well...fits tight over the neoprene dry suit neck seal and is long enough to tuck down and stay put under the neoprene dry suit ''warm collar''...

Warren...

HOOD 2.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom