Barotrauma after first open water dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey divers,

I just had my first open water dive (PADI) and we had a to make an emergency ascent because one of the students panicked. I didn't pay too much attention to my breathing but don't think I held my breath. We came from around 5m/18ft.

Either way, after the dive I'm feeling a little light headed and have been experiencing some chest discomfort/pressure beneath my sternum. The dive was about 3hours ago.

Should I be worried?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Sarah
You've already gotten good advice of calling DAN, etc.,. For future reference, I wanted to add that you should only do an emergency ascent if you have an issue - not because someone else has one - unless you are that person's buddy or your assistance is critical. Otherwise, do a controlled ascent and safety stop (if possible) and meet up at the surface.

Good luck and I hope you are OK.

You've already gotten good advice of calling DAN, etc.,. For future reference, I wanted to add that you should only do an emergency ascent if you have an issue - not because someone else has one - unless you are that person's buddy or your assistance is critical. Otherwise, do a controlled ascent and safety stop (if possible) and meet up at the surface.

she is a student, and didn't know what she didn't know, plus the instructor by standards if didn't have a certified assistant was in a "can't win" as she/he is supposed to not let any student out of direct supervision.

We need more certified assistants when teaching.

Thanks to all of you for your replies, I just got of the phone with a DAN doctor.
Long story short, I shouldn't worry too much. He thinks it might be related to breathing cold air (which also causes me troubles when I go for a run during winter). The feeling should be gone in a couple of hours, if not he asked me to call him back.

Again thank's a lot, I didn't even know DAN existed.

Last edited:

Well actually, it happend all very quickly and the visibility was very poor. As far as I could tell at the moment everyone around me was ascending. Due to the visibility I was not able to distinguish between the instructor and the students so I just followed. I know it was a bad call :/...

Thanks to all of you for your replies, I just got of the phone with a DAN doctor.
Long story short, I shouldn't worry too much. He thinks it might be related to breathing cold air (which also causes me troubles when I go for a run during winter). The feeling should be gone in a couple of hours, if not he asked me to call him back.

Again thank's a lot, I didn't even now DAN existed.
see, they know the questions to ask!

Well actually, it happend all very quickly and the visibility was very poor. As far as I could tell at the moment everyone around me was ascending. Due to the visibility I was not able to distinguish between the instructor and the students so I just followed. I know it was a bad call :/...
meh..you are typing online and just got off the phone, a truly bad call would preclude those. You just leaned a bit more. I really hope you don't let this turn you off diving, we've all had similar happen

join DAN :)

Fair enough and you did not make a bad call given your experience - with limited viz, it could have been far worse if you stayed down solo and got separated. I was not trying to be critical of your decision as I did not know all of the details - it was just meant as "food for thought" for future situations. I'm glad all seems to be OK.

Last edited:
she is a student, and didn't know what she didn't know, plus the instructor by standards if didn't have a certified assistant was in a "can't win" as she/he is supposed to not let any student out of direct supervision.

We need more certified assistants when teaching.
Understood - Luckily, I've always had more than 1 instructor or an assistant on my training dives. It's definitely a good idea and helps avoid these types of issues when 1 student has an emergency. Economics of what folks are willing to pay for instruction likely drives the typical support staffing though, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom