Barracuda Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got this one long time ago, it was a 5 footer since I'm 5'-6" and It wasn't the biggest of the pack, in fact it was the smallest of the pack and the biggest IMO was about 7+ feet long and I have seen lots like this in the Monito Rock area (the rock in the avatar) and at Sail Rock just outside of St Thomas.

You know that Barracuda in the Virgin Islands are usually loaded with ciguatera, right?

You know that Barracuda in the Virgin Islands are usually loaded with ciguatera, right?

That is right, any cuda bigger than 2ft here in PR is almost certain to have ciguatera, but for some reason the ones in the Mona Passage seems to be free of it, fishermen fishing this waters have eat them for yrs without problems, but they don't eat the ones near PR or the rest of the carribean.
The one on the pic was eaten by 25 or more people with no problems to anyone, I just took a few bites risking the illness, but nothing happened.

You might not get eaten, but you can still get bit and come back minus a hand or foot. I've skin dived in around here in Indiana and encountered alligator snapping turtles with heads the size of a small canteloupe. NOTE: They like to hang out in the opened trunks of sunken cars for some reason. Trust me I got a nice close look at one....started wearing chain mail gloves after that (that way the hand surgeons at the local hospital might still have something to work with).
I have seen, out of the water after being caught and dragged ashore, a snapping turtle that was bigger around than a manhole cover (approximately 2.5 feet across the shell and in excess of 50 lbs.). The guy shot it in the head with a .30 caliber rifle and it didn't die. They are tough SOB's. I'd take a barracuda in clear water any day.

Yes I realize this is a really old thread, but still a lot of fun to read. But let me tell you, snappers are something else. Tried to rescue one from a busy road one time. Was a little over a foot and a half in diameter. I approached him from behind and slid my hands under the sides of his shell.

This is NO exaggeration. This turtle jumped a foot in the air while doing a 180 degree turn and came within a centimeter of taking my finger off! I was absolutely stunned by its athletic ability. My son however was literally on his knees in the ditch by the side of the road holding his sides laughing.

I left Mr. Snappy to fend for himself. He did make it off the side of the road though.

Great posts...

It seems to be a geographical fear also. When I was teaching, nearly all of the students were concerned about sharks those from the US were anxious about Baracudas.

Here's a story of an incident that I personally witnessed: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5200910-post30.html

Fortunately the diver who caught the barracuda's attention in this case wasn't bitten.

Another Egyptian dive instructor who I know has a really nasty scar on his calf muscle from a barracuda bite he received, although IIRC he was fishing and not diving when it happened.

R..

I saw this thread and thought I should add my story.

I'm a British man who was on holiday with my family in Florida. We were at the beach at Coquina, on Anna María Island, on the 10th August.

We'd seen Manatees a few days earlier and I thought I saw them again above a sand bank within the buoys, but beyond where the other swimmers were at that moment. I swam out, just wearing usual beach type shorts and a pair of normal goggles.

I swam out and as I passed a darker area of water with a little sea grass etc at the bottom and was just about to reach the sand bank something hit me at terrific speed in the neck. I turned around 270 degrees and saw something swim off. My jaw was aching like I'd been punched as hard as possible. I felt down to my neck and thought I had some fish left on me, but actually it was me putting my fingers into my neck! I swam back to the shore bleeding and stunned.

The life guards and paramedics patched me up on the shore paying attention to the main gash in my neck, but not noticing the second puncture in my chin, such was the amount of blood running down my chest.

At the local hospital I was well looked after and given a lot of stitches. It was the staff there that told me that it would have been a Barrcuda attack, as it was one very hard strike with a jaw big enough to reach from my neck to my chin, but not chasing me down for a second attempt (as I'm told a shark may have done with the amount of blood in the water around me).

Your thread here interested me as I've read up since that the reports of these strikes are very infrequent but happen when the waters are warmest in July and August which ties in with this attack.

Back
Top Bottom