Base Layer advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Under Armor Cold base layers. I use the Cold 3.0 year round and it works well. If I was buying again I’d buy some wicking underwear from REI, probably from their outlet section.

Thanks everyone for feedback. I picked up icebreaker merino wool. Drysuit should be here in a week or two - can’t wait to get it in the water

Been using an Exotherm Shirt, Leggings n Vest under my Weezle Extreme + for almost 20 years now. Since nothing has any Thinsulate in it, washing will not degrade the thermal characteristics of the setup. I have rubberized neoprene boots on my drysuits and my feet don't get cold in them using a set of normal socks.
What I don't do is wear anything under the Exotherm, especially anything made of cotton - it will impede the wicking of moisture away from your body and you'll stay cold.

Michael

I've been using the Seaskin base layer for 6 or 7 months now and I am VERY happy with it.

Seaskin Tech Base System - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

It feels very much like Under Armour Cold Gear (or whatever they call it).

It does a fantastic job of wicking away moisture. I have yet to *feel* damp while wearing this base layer - even when I doff my drysuit and the inside of the suit itself is totally damp everywhere from sweat and condensation.

When the water is not too cold, I wear the Seaskin base and heavy weight Merino wool shirt and leggings over it. Great combo. For colder, I wear the Seaskin base and Seaskin undersuit.

The best part is that is so much less expensive than, for example, the Under Armour stuff. With the current exchange rate and no VAT, a set of the Seaskin base layer shirt and leggings is around USD$41. Total. For both. Plus shipping.

If you do order any of it, make sure to follow their sizing guide. I did and I am glad I did. I normally wear XL t-shirts and M or L shorts and sweatpants. The XL Seaskin top fits me (very snug), and the XL leggings fit (as their sizing guide predicted).

Any kind of wicking layer will work.. Go to REI or someplace and get a set of poly long-johns. They'll be a fraction of the price of anything with a dive logo on them. We know cold water pretty well up here, and that's all anyone wears. It's more about moisture management than anything else, in a base layer.

Back
Top Bottom