Based on what you now know with BP/W setups...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that too, with the fleece on top, until I realized the bottom was fairly well protected. Also "they" are usually interested in large metal objects. Plus, BP on top is handier for bopping rude/drunken passengers on the head.

Yet another advantage of having the backplate on top is that if the airline agent says my bag is overweight, my plan is to pull out the backplate and strap it on my back to wear onto the plane. Easier than rummaging around for several smaller items heavy enough to make a difference.

BPs are great. Steel versus aluminum depends on whether you want to have 3 or 4 pounds in your luggage or on your waist when diving. I use a steel BP because I can then fit all the weight I need for up to a 5mm suit in a small trim pocket on each side of my waist strap back next to the plate. With an AL plate, I'd have to use a weight belt or put weights on my tank straps or get larger trim pockets than I want.

As to the harness, I started out with a fancy adjustable one from DSS (no longer available), but did not like it. I replaced it with this basic basic harness from Piranha and am very happy with it. They offer multiple options. I went with the nitrox green webbing, stock black crotch strap, no grommet since it's just for single tank, bent d-rings for the shoulders and flat for the waist. Total was under $45. The only thing you need to add is a couple of inner tube sections or bungee loops to hold the ends of your lights (assuming you will clip them to the shoulder D-rings). BTW, I called Piranha with a question about an SPG and they were very friendly and helpful. They even added a hose option to the website while I was on the phone with them and they put it together and shipped it the next morning so I could get it before my trip.

Take a look at this video for how to set up the harness:

Yet another advantage of having the backplate on top is that if the airline agent says my bag is overweight, my plan is to pull out the backplate and strap it on my back to wear onto the plane. Easier than rummaging around for several smaller items heavy enough to make a difference.
That's a great mental image. Make sure you put it in the bin with your shoes when you go through security :)

That's a great mental image. Make sure you put it in the bin with your shoes when you go through security :)

I don’t think I’d be the first one to have worn a BP through security. And then there was the guy with a rebreather coming back from Bonaire.

Plus, BP on top is handier for bopping rude/drunken passengers on the head.

I’m getting this mental picture of you as the Ruth Buzzi of the dive world.

With what you've learned thus far with new backplate technology and the myriad straps and buckles out there and all you were going to do was travel the warm salt water reefs and wrecks of the world with weight in mind, What setups would you consider if you could in the past with your present knowledge?

Steel backplate in a checked bag.

VDH has harness kits. All you want is a standard harness kit. I find the neoprene shoulder covers, the kind that slip on, to be useful for for diving sans heavy rubber blubber. VDH may have some nylon D-rings. I have a set from him on my wife's VDH wing and plate. The nylon D-rings are plenty strong enough for vacation diving. I would also recommend the nylon/plastic cam bands and belt buckle. If you are rough with equipment forgo the nylon pieces but I cannot recall but breaking one plastic buckle and it was damaged due to a tank being dropped on it from high on a bench. They are really about as tough as the SS. And a one inch crotch strap with a quick clip. The ounces add up in your dive bag.

The Oxycheq or one of several similar fabric backplates work very well and are very light. Below on the left is a VDH 23 pounds wing on a VDH plate and the right is a Oxy 18 and Oxy travel plate, just for your comparison:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-24-at-8-03-52-PM.png

Really, they dive very similar and I like both. The VDH aluminum plate works wonderful with all types of regulators though the cutout is specific to DH regs.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom