Bases for Using a Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cudachaser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:D

Years ago Scuba was quiet archaic...The basic system was a tank, backpack, weightbelt & double hose regulator...No spg, no bc, computer etc.

Those days...long surface swims were very arduous, when you surfaced most likely you had little or no air the tank and it took a lot of effort to keep your head above water so the snorkel was a major safety item to allow a diver to lay prone in the water and still breathe. Your other optons were to start ditching gear.

Recent designs in BC's keep you quite high and dry and following rules, the diver should have plenty of residual air for any surface activity.

One thing to consider is using a back inflate system...they do tend to float you face down at the surface...this would rationalize using a snorkel if you might expect a long surface swim.

Joe

When I learned to dive, none of us had more than one tank, so all the diving for a day was in that bottle. A typical dive would be to snorkel over to directly above the site, hyperventilate a bit and dive hard for the bottom, taking the first breath from the tank passing 30' or so. Ascents were at 60 fpm straight to the surface, where an immediate switch to snorkel was made to conserve that precious gas for the next dive.
A little of that is still in me, as I usually switch to snorkel any time I'm going to be on the surface for more than a breath or two - and I generally wear a snorkel on open water, non penetration dives. If the dive involves wreck penetration, or caving, I don't carry a snorkel at all. Occasionally I'll carry a fold-up snorkel in a pocket, but not very often.
Rick

cudachaser once bubbled...
:D

One thing to consider is using a back inflate system...they do tend to float you face down at the surface...this would rationalize using a snorkel if you might expect a long surface swim.
Joe

I don't use a snorkle at all. If I have to do a surface swim, its done on my back, whether diving single or doubles.

MD

I typically dive doubles, and don't use a snorkel, as the enviroment usually doesn't call for rough seas (lakes and caves). I am currently doing my Divemaster Internship, so of course, I wear a snorkel during class and the open water dives. I usually have my snorkel in my gear bag, and when the ocean got a little rough, I did wear my snorkel on those dives. In certain circumstances, I see the value of using a snorkel.

I will only carry a snorkel when I dive in the ocean and there is a rough surface, and even then I carry a fold-up snorkel that can be stowed in the thigh pocket. I usually swim on my back if I have to do any surface swims, and I only use back inflate.

Properly inflated back inflation BCs will not float you face down. It has been said many times before and I will say it again, add just enough air to stay above the surface and then just sit back like your in a recliner, thats all there is to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom