Basic Amateur diving service business questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you guys are searching for a lost item, what is the best method of searching? Circle search? How long should the line be?

[text deleted]

Search technique depends on several variables. A circle search from a peg in the ground works if you have a smooth sea floor. Circle searches using a method an earlier poster described (sending down a weighted line tied to a cleat or other object near where you should be searching) is a really creative way to do a circle search as long as pilings, etc., don't interfere with the circle. Circle searches generally are best for small objects in poor vis, as I recall.

However, you might modify depending on the situation. If the object is known to be within a slip at a marina it's different than if it's in an open area with no clear boundaries.

I search for mine shapes for the navy. We drop a spot buoy when the captain says we’re on the site, he comes around and I jump down the line. I tie off my 100 foot reel to theclump weight and make my first circle at 50 feet. Vis is 5-10 feet and the mines are 5 feet long, so they will foul the reel line. What I find the mine, I tie off the reel and move the spot buoy to the mine. The mine is recovered with the pendant line.

My team gets $2500 a day and I’m at about half the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom