Basic GoPro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hammet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been shooting my new GoPro for the first time this week. Prior to the dive, I adjusted the settings so that the screen does not turn off after so and so seconds so that I can always see what I'm aiming at. Of course this drains the battery and I have to keep the camera powered off between shots. I feel like I'm doing this wrong. What do you guys do?

I've been shooting my new GoPro for the first time this week. Prior to the dive, I adjusted the settings so that the screen does not turn off after so and so seconds so that I can always see what I'm aiming at. Of course this drains the battery and I have to keep the camera powered off between shots. I feel like I'm doing this wrong. What do you guys do?
I don't have a screen at all. I use the sounds to tell on from off.

But how do you frame your subject without seeing it in the screen?

But how do you frame your subject without seeing it in the screen?
There is no screen at all. It is on wide angel point and shoot.

I actually have it rigidly mounted to my maks in a sort of "camera sees what I see style."

Depending on what I'm shooting, I usually have it set to either 2min or 5min before the screen turns off ..

If there is quite a bit of time between shots, I turn the GoPro off.

I also have the quck record? option turned on, just hit the 'shutter' and it turns on and starts recording. It also turns off when recording has been stopped

_R

I had the same problem: I would keep the screen on all the time and my battery would die in the middle of my second dive (after making about 5 minutes of video, the rest of the time on standby.) I switched to using the "quick capture" mode and my battery was still 3/4 full after two dives. The QC mode essentially puts the camera to "sleep", but if you hit the top button it wakes up and starts recording. When you stop recording, it goes back to sleep.

Only downside I found is that it takes a few seconds to "wake up" each time, so it's not ideal if you're trying to catch something quickly.

Edit: I just realized that Ralph's reply (right above this one) refers to the same thing, using Quick Capture mode.

ahhh...that works....awesome.
didn't know you could do that.
I probably should have read the manual.

You asked a good "basic" question, and received a good answer. Funny how reading the manual (in most cases) can solve problems. So why don't more people begin by doing that ?:banghead:

You asked a good "basic" question, and received a good answer. Funny how reading the manual (in most cases) can solve problems. So why don't more people begin by doing that ?:banghead:
because it doesn't come in the box.

Back
Top Bottom