Basic rules broken become near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeason

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This happened about a month ago, I have started this post probably 5 times but needed time to become a little less emotional about it. The first few days I bounced between being really mad at myself and disappointed I got myself here and ecstatic that I'd passed the 48 hour window for DCS, so here goes.

My near miss started in one of the most common ways, complacent "I know what I'm doing" ego. I went on a dive with a group which has a tendency to push limits, and decided to try out a new dry suit undergarment at the same time. This turned into a perfect storm of almost getting myself bent.

The major error in judgement was the idea that I was switching from multiple layers under my dry suit to a single but heavier layer. I figured I would add weights and be at least close to a good weighting. I meant to do a weight check, but ended up being slow getting in the water and felt rushed, and ultimately forgot. On top of this I was already carrying 2kg more than usual so figured I should be fine. I should have aborted the second we started the descent... it was slow... it didn't feel right... but hey I've been a little buoyant before, I'll be fine... lesson learned there, never be afraid to admit your mistake even if it messes up the dive for the group.

We go down, dive is intended to be 40m as we're in recreational setup. I will admit in hindsight I got a bit of narcosis because we'd descended to 45m instead, and then went even further. I didn't realize until I looked at my computer after but I hit 53m on a single 15L tank. I was at least using H valve with redundant 1st/2nd stages and redundant buoyancy, I was basically in tec setup but failed to properly plan the dive as such. So we start our ascent and I realize I have 15-20 minutes of deco, not normally a major issue as I have plenty of air, but I'm having trouble controlling my ascent. At about 20m I realize I'm in serious trouble, I did a stupid... I now have a half a tank with left, 20 min of deco, and I can barely hold my depth, I signaled my group lead about my situation .

My decompression turned into floating up as close to my ceiling as I felt comfortable while dumping as much air as possible, then swimming a couple meters down, the whole time trying to balance my breathing. During this the group lead helped pull me down a couple times, and was able to donate 2kg to me later on which made the situation more manageable. I also realized at one point that often when trying to squeeze air our of my dry suit I was hitting my BCD inflator. Of course because of my extra exertion I used more air and became even more buoyant. At one point I needed to maintain about 3-5m but it felt almost impossible. Unfortunately looking at my computer I realized I was flirting with the line between offgassing the necessary compartments and on gassing others (my deco clock stopped a few times). During all of this I was about as close to panic as I've ever come but knew that losing my calm would kill me. So I moved up to and managed to maintain 6m long enough to finish my decompression.

Eventually I successfully finish my decompression and surfaced without any issue, but I did so with only about 20bar left. I was incredibly close to running out of air and broke my deco ceiling multiple times. Luckily never by a lot or for long, so knowing my computer is set conservatively (GF High of 70) I stayed calm and just kept trying to stick to my deco profile.

Rules I can think of that I broke:
Do a weight check when you change equipment.
Don't do a deep dive with new equipment, build slowly.
Dive your plan. Don't go into deco without planning for it (we had planned for it but I still think this applies as I was really I'll prepared for a 53m dive).
Call the dive at the first sign of a problem.

If anyone sees other rules that we're broken feel free to point them out. While I'm disappointed in myself I'm doing my best to learn from it and hoping to jump back in when I can!

Testing a new undersuit and going into decompression with no dive plan are very poor choices. Straying from 40 meters into 53 meters? Never follow the pack. You should have listened to your gut, and should have made your final stop at 6 meters but when you had no plan it’s hard to reconfigure deco stops in the water,

What about a bubble (and the rest) check at 15-20 ft? A good time to assess any issue. More of a tech thing than a recreational one, but a good time to assess things before they turn South.
I don't get the BC inflator story: maybe time to revisit your config (and test it shallow first)?
Glad you spared yourself a chamber ride.

As long as you have air and access to more air, you've got time to sort out your problem, so try not to get flustered.

I'm a bit surprised but the way you tell the story, it's as if none of your buddy(ies) tried to give you a hand, other than the dive lead who offered you two pounds after pulling you down a couple of times.

I'll make a guess that your personal agitation had you filling your lungs more than usual, affecting your lift a bit too.

You seem to have identified everything else.

I've got another question too please. How many other divers were you with? Did everyone of them not notice that you'd all exceeded your planned depth?

You may have been flustered, but you did not actually panic. That is a plus point. The anxiety that you felt afterwards is understandable as in reality the threat continues. All the points made are valid and good. It is, as ChillyinC says to over inflate your lungs when anxious.
You have had the courage to publish what happened, people usually don't. Never be rushed by others, or worry about messing up others dives if it potentially puts you in danger.

well you survived so thats a good thing right! its a good thing to look back and debrief your drive to see what went wrong, but i sense your beating yourself up a bit- we have all stuffed up.
I dont want to be unkind but from what i read there are quite a few questions that need addressing

what tech course have you done?

Glad you ended up okay and sparing yourself from injury. In reading everything, okay you made a couple of mistakes where judgement is concerned and those choices got you into a bit of trouble. But you managed it. And without incident. It's nothing to really beat yourself up over. You've already analyzed and deconstructed your dive and figured out what you did wrong so learn from it and don't repeat those mistakes. Don't second guess your best judgement even if it means calling a dive. Yeah, it sucks, but it keeps you safe to dive another time. as has already been stated, part of your buoyancy issue was very likely your excitement which likely had you filling your lungs more so than normal. I experienced that same issue myself last summer during an incident that had me bailing out of my full face mask because of a blown o-ring. I performed the mask switch I'd trained myself for many many time flawlessly, but not without forgetting to hold onto the ffm I'd just doffed of the GoPro I was holding in my right hand. And because of the excitement, I ended up mess than 1m from the surface because of deeper inhalation. But I managed it and it was a very shallow 10m dive and I was able to continue for another 10 minutes or so after getting settled. Once back on the boat, everyone that saw what happened, including the DMs thought I handled the situation really well, but I was silently beating myself up over it because I ended up near the surface rather than holding my position int eh water column and maintaining my buoyancy. After all, I'm a dive master and I'm supposed to be able to do that perfectly right? I didn't get hurt, I got all my gear back (thanks to a buddy pair that was near me when it happened...my buddy had swam way off into the distance) and I was able to dive again the next day. And I got some good experience on how to handle a real life situation rather than just training myself on it when I know it's coming. So if nothing else, consider it real world training for yourself should the same set of circumstances present themselves under even the best planning and execution.

Moral of the story: S**t happens...it's how we deal with it that counts!

Going 40 feet deeper than planned, running up 20 minutes of (unplanned) deco and presumably having no deco or redundant gas for the dive all seem to me to be pretty big deals. Being so grossly underweighted that someone donating 4 lbs of extra lead and still being out of control on a deco dive also seems like more than a little lapse in judgement.

The whole scenario sounds a lot different that s**t happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom