Basic Swim Aerobic Training!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

playtoomuch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Basic Swim Aerobic Training!:snorkel:

The Warm Up

I tend to keep my warm-ups between 20-25% of the total yardage for that swim workout. This usually consists of a longer swim to start, then some shorter kicking, drills, and short sprints to get my heart rate going. I'll also base my warm-up on what I plan on doing for the main set. If I'm doing more distance freestyle, I'll have more freestyle in the warm-up. If I'm going for a stroke based main set, I'll put some stroke drills and maybe some IM sets in the warm-up.
The Pre-Set (optional especially for shorter workouts)
I use the pre-set especially in my longer workouts and also in workouts where the main set is very fast. Its perfect for a build up to that tough main set and you can really get your heart rate exactly where you want it if you do this right.
The Main Set
Yardage for the pre-set if I have one plus the main set usually equals 60-70% of the total yardage for that swim workout. Within this set I like to have descending sets or negative split long swims. I'll also keep the intervals tight so that I'm not getting much rest in between each set. You can really build up your endurance by designing your main sets like this. Don't be afraid to be uncomfortable during your main sets. If you are "comfortable" throughout the entire workout, then you aren't pushing yourself enough and you need to crank it up a notch or two. Also make sure you alternate between freestyle and stroke for your main sets BUT stay consistent with one overall theme throughout the entire workout.
The Cool-down
The cool-down should be the shortest part of your swim workout, and is really just there to help you get rid of some of that lactic acid build up. Just like if you went for a run, you would want to walk it off for a few minutes. Make sure you do at least 200 yards of freestyle/backstroke mix, or even just kicking on your back.

great thoughts, I saw now that there is a padi cert course for scuba fitness!

Back
Top Bottom