Suggestion Batteries deserve to have a home.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
kr2y5

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear site overlords: batteries have been enhancing our dive experience for decades. I say, let's give them a separate sub-forum under Equipment.

Dear site overlords: batteries have been enhancing our dive experience for decades. I say, let's give them a separate sub-forum under Equipment.
I'm trying to decide if you're genuinely curious about most everything, are just a troll, or simply have too much spare time.

So which is it?

I'm trying to decide if you're genuinely curious about most everything, are just a troll, or simply have too much spare time.

So which is it?

Are you having a bad day, John? What is this outburst of hostility supposed to accomplish? Brighten up...

So which is it?

It's a great idea. I can envision subforums for rechargeable vs disposable, LiOn vs NiMH. Maybe even a "Charger" specific section?

[/sarcasm]

Last edited:
There's a process for that: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_faq_new_forum
So you want a new forum?

You need to think about the following:

Is the subject suitable for ScubaBoard?
Is it necessary, isn't this subject already covered by another forum?
Is it to be a private forum? If so, for which group? Any specific access restrictions (ie read-only etc.)?

Got that covered?

Good, next thing you need to do is to start a thread in Suggestions (part of Site Support).

Also, you'll need at least twenty interested members who'll back your proposal.

Finally, the ScubaBoard Staff will consider your proposal and create the forum if approved.

Please note that any forum may also be removed due to inactivity.

Any questions? Send us a message!

Are you having a bad day, John? What is this outburst of hostility supposed to accomplish? Brighten up...

limits.jpg

It's a great idea. I can envision subforums for rechargeable vs disposable, LiOn vs NiMH. Maybe even a "Charger" specific section?

I do batteries, lots of batteries, big, small, Ni-Cad, NiMh, Li-Ion etc. I'd suggest a single forum is not really needed *or* a good idea.

The application and the manufacturers recommendation for use vary quite a bit. I've seen endless nonsense about batteries on RC wwebsites.

If it was me I'd stick with application based forums, or maybe sub forums, i.e. scooter battery sub forum, camera battery subforum, can light battery sub forum.

A free for all battery forum seems like a great way to exchange lots of "almost" good information.

Tobin

I do batteries, lots of batteries, big, small, Ni-Cad, NiMh, Li-Ion etc. I'd suggest a single forum is not really needed *or* a good idea.

The application and the manufacturers recommendation for use vary quite a bit. I've seen endless nonsense about batteries on RC wwebsites.

If it was me I'd stick with application based forums, or maybe sub forums, i.e. scooter battery sub forum, camera battery subforum, can light battery sub forum.

A free for all battery forum seems like a great way to exchange lots of "almost" good information.

Tobin

Ah, I didn't realize there's so much difference. Mostly, I noticed that battery-related topics seem to be popping up either in the context of lights, or exposure protection, and it seemed to make sense for there to be one place that's easy to browse. How do the battery requirements for suit heaters differ from those for lights, for example? What's the top recent technology you'd recommend for the former? I'd assume LiPO, since I think that's what LM is using, but I think I've seen an article that suggests they're not free from memory effect, and I'm not sure how they compare safety wise, e.g., to NiMH. As for me, I'm consider to put together another battery for my heater.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2015 at 07:19 PM ----------

Yup, I think we're in "site support / suggestions"... it doesn't currently seem like we're going to get 20 votes, though.

Ah, I didn't realize there's so much difference. Mostly, I noticed that battery-related topics seem to be popping up either in the context of lights, or exposure protection, and it seemed to make sense for there to be one place that's easy to browse. How do the battery requirements for suit heaters differ from those for lights, for example? What's the top recent technology you'd recommend for the former? I'd assume LiPO, since I think that's what LM is using, but I think I've seen an article that suggests they're not free from memory effect, and I'm not sure how they compare safety wise, e.g., to NiMH. As for me, I'm consider to put together another battery for my heater.

I'd rather start a discussion of Ratio Deco, it would over sooner and fewer dangerous things would offered as "best practices" :)

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom