Batteries for the YS-60 TTL/N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Gulliver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Instruction manual for one of my YS-60 TTL/N strobes (I have two strobes but only one manual) specifically warns against the use of batteries other than manganese, alkaline or Ni-Cd whereas Sea & Sea's 2004 catalogue states "Battery requirement 4 x AA Alkaline, Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries" for this strobe. Very confusing!!! Did Sea & Sea make two versions, an earlier one that did not take Ni-MH batteries and a later one that did? The serial numbers of my YS-60's are 9612600926 and 9612503187 if that helps.

Hi John,
afaik there are different battery-caps - the newer one with s.th. like a valve I think - but i also used Ni-MH-Batteries in the old one - sometimes it stank a little bit when the flash was opened. But it worked - but without any guarantee.
Maybe the new battery-types (as eneloop / maxe) work better because of less heat.
Greetings
Tom

Hi John-
tommmes is correct, earlier YS-60's did not have battery caps with a prv (pressure release valve). THe NiMH batteries off gas in small amounts that require a release valve, hence the reason for the change in the catalog vs manual.

Hi John-
tommmes is correct, earlier YS-60's did not have battery caps with a prv (pressure release valve). THe NiMH batteries off gas in small amounts that require a release valve, hence the reason for the change in the catalog vs manual.

Thanks! Can you tell from the serial numbers which model I have? If not, can you give me a link to pictures of both types of battery cap?
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom