Battery change for Mantis 2 - my experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GloryDayz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It took some doing, but I finally got it. NOT by opening the battery cover, NOT by using a watch case-back tool to unscrew the case-back (well not initially), but by using a slightly-modified nylon spudger and a mallet by using one of the case-back's notch slots and carefully tapping it to let-loose the seal the factory put on it. I was careful to mark where the case-back lined up with the case, and after changing the battery, cleaning any dirt that was on any sealing surfaces and replaced the O-ring I made sure the marks lined up again. Pretty simply once that factory seal let loose.

Oh, and it works fine too, so that was a lot of saved time and money.

I hope this helps others who encounter the same issue I did when I went to do a simple dive computer battery change. It sure doesn't seem like something you should have to send back the the manufacturer to have done. Plus, they give you the instructions in the manual, so it's not like you're out of bounds for doing it yourself.

OK, I'm still coming up empty! I'm caught between the ScubaPro policy of not selling parts to end users, and no ScubaPro authorized dealer carrying the case-back O-ring for a Mantis 2. I'm hoping some enterprising authorized dealer will read this and tell me they can get, and sell me, a 06204061 O-ring so I can follow ScubaPro's advice of changing the O-ring when I change the battery.

If not, if this request goes unanswered, maybe one of the ScubaPro reps who monitors the sub-forum can talk to management and possibly decide to make an exception for me since I'm caught between their corporate policy and the authorized dealer's not being able to, or not being willing to, carry parts customers need to do maintenance that's listed in the owner's manual. Or get them for the customer. Needless to say, ScubaPro's policy has put the customer in a sort of tug-of-war between corporate and their authorized dealers. I just want an )-ring, and shipping it back to ScubaPro (the only option one of the "authorized dealers" offered that would result in a new O-ring) seems a bit over the top.

Help!

Quick update, using the old O-ring everything went well, it held just fine to 128 feet. Heck, I'm lucky it didn't freeze, it was cold, thank God for dry suits!!! :eek: So perhaps replacing the pretty-much-impossible-to-get O-ring isn't that big of a deal as long as you don't damage it in the battery replacement process and know what you're doing.

:stirpot:

Yes. A local ScubaPro dealer ordered some for me. Remember, take the case back off, not the battery cover.

GloryDayz is absolutely right on how to open the Mantis 2 to replace the battery. In spite of the misguiding suggestion in the Scubapro User Manual to use a "correct size coin" to open the rear case, you will not succeed and only ruin the case. The only secure way to open it, particularly if it's the first battery replacement, is to hold the watch in a case holder, secure the case holder in a vise and use a Jaxa type wrench tool.
With regard to the Oring, is a metric 0.8mm (cs) x 36.5mm (ID).

I wish I came across this before I opened my Mantis 2!
It's frustrating that Scubapro seems to have stopped servicing this model (as least in the UK) and they don't tell you what o-ring to use.

I decided to do a bit of DIY. I managed to open it with a coing an a pair of pliers. Changed the battery (CR2450) cand closed it up with the old o-ring. Just trying to make a DIY pressure tester to get it tested!

If I have to change the O-ring I know what to get!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom