Bauer Junior II eating belts like crazy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmarsh3309

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a gas-powered BJ2 on my boat for four years and the thing wears out belts like nobody's business. I try my best to get the belt tensioned - which requires moving the entire engine. It seems like I get about two dozen fills per belt.

It seems the thing could stand to have an idler pulley to help maintain proper tension. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, commiserations, etc.

I'm no expert with compressors, but have you checked the motor flywheel alignment? How is the belt wearing before failure?

I'm no expert with compressors, but have you checked the motor flywheel alignment? How is the belt wearing before failure?

Good suggestion. I have checked the alignment and did end up moving the block on the engine shaft slightly several years ago. The wear looks even to me but I'll scrutinize this latest belt very closely. Thanks

Good suggestion. I have checked the alignment and did end up moving the block on the engine shaft slightly several years ago. The wear looks even to me but I'll scrutinize this latest belt very closely. Thanks
Is the motor or flywheel pully rubbing on the belt guard or is the belt slapping onto the guard anywhere? Or even the pully/flywheel have a ding or flaw?

Never had one break, replaced after about 1,200 fills just in case. I would guess alignment is out.

I've had a gas-powered BJ2 on my boat for four years and the thing wears out belts like nobody's business. I try my best to get the belt tensioned - which requires moving the entire engine. It seems like I get about two dozen fills per belt.

It seems the thing could stand to have an idler pulley to help maintain proper tension. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, commiserations, etc.
Use a straight edge to check alignment if you can.

Is the motor or flywheel pully rubbing on the belt guard or is the belt slapping onto the guard anywhere? Or even the pully/flywheel have a ding or flaw?

Nope, there's plenty of clearance - and the pulleys look pristine.

Never had one break, replaced after about 1,200 fills just in case. I would guess alignment is out.

I've never had one break either. They just wear out: getting thinner and thinner and shedding black dust everywhere.

Use a straight edge to check alignment if you can.

I'll do that again. I did an alignment check several years ago but I only had a short straight-edge that I "sighted" along. I've got a piece of aluminum on the boat that may allow me to do a proper job of it.

I've just re-tensioned the belt. It's a PITA procedure since I must loosen 6 hard-to-access bolts. I'm beginning to think I'm missing a step. When I put a new belt on the thing I should re-visit the belt tension after a few runs since it probably relaxes a bit. I know the new belts on my diesels need a bit of run-in before they hold tension.

Back
Top Bottom