Bauer KA13E?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I have found another used compressor locally to me. It's listed as a Bauer KA13E, and it looks very much like a Capitano or Mariner. Can you tell me anything about these units, and if parts are still available?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim, This compressor block should be a Bauer Utilus-H according to the Model. For a complete identification, I would need to see close up pictures of the block and valve heads. Also I would need to know the block number which is hand stamped on the crankcase and should look like
"79/1234/03".

We carry most commonly replaced parts to fit this block.

Thanks Jim,
Gabe

Thanks Gabe, I will contact the seller and see if I can get the block number. I only have one picture at the moment.

9768j2m_20.jpg

Hi Gabe,

I contacted the seller, and he was able to find a bit of information. On the 3 stage compressor, he found the number 5542 stamped on the block. On the K14 he found KB1505B stamped near the first stage intake, but wasn't able to find anything else. He did find the dates 1973 for the K14, and 1967 for the Utilus on the nameplates.

Any advice or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim,

That is a little helpful, it lets me know that these are pretty old. not much other than that. I would try again to get the right number. it is hand stamped into the metal on the crankshaft housing (the crankcase) usually near the base of one of the cylinders. it will have to forward slashes (/) and the number pattern usually is two numbers, then four numbers, than two numbers.

For a K14, the block number should be on the top of the crankcase at the front of the compressor (Oil side).

Thanks,
Gabe

Ok, let's try this again!

Utilus has the numbers KB3191a

K14 has the numbers K14 2/575

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information, that was a little more helpful. These compressors are the Utilus and
K14-85. Both are 1970's or earlier. The problem with acquiring blocks from around this time is that there were many changes to these models throughout the decades and parts to fit these original style blocks are no longer in production. In the best case scenario when servicing these blocks you would need to swap out complete head assembles, cooling tubes would have to be fixed not replaced, and if anything should happen to a cylinder your only options would be to repair it in a machine shop or find a used one (hard to do). Last, keep in mind that nobody (to my knowledge) manufactures con-rods to fit Bauer blocks other than Bauer themselves and they do not sell them separately. So, if something happened to a rod or the shaft you would have to replace the complete shaft assembly ($2000-$3000).

I looked through our history of conversations on this Forum as well as your profile to better understand your situation. I'm guessing you are a diver filling your own tanks and have been on the lookout for a personal use block since we started conversing...am I right? In this case, I would again recommend contacting me by phone or email to discuss your needs so I can help you find the right block. We may even have a rebuilt block that would be suitable.

Thanks again for posting on our Forum and I hope to speak with you in the formats mentioned above to resolve your compressor needs.

Thanks

Gabe Kaplan, New Parts Customer Support
305-430-0863
gkaplan@lawrence-factor.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom