Bavaria Fun II by IDE compressors??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taimen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering a small compressor.
Any comments or first hand experience on Bavaria Fun II by IDE compressors? How does it compare to other units in the same class. I am specifically looking for a small output unit I could use for cfm trimix filling rebreather diluent and occasional 80cf bailout cylinders. Thus looking at the single phase 230v version.

Bavaria - IDE compressors are made by NARDI....

You are incorrect. No they are not. Nardi do not make the block for the Bavaria Fun
That unfortunate title goes to someone far far worse.

But I would be interested if your opinion of your Nardi after you have done 500 hours remains positive.
If you ever suceed in getting that many hours running on it that is.

On this backwater section of the diving forum we discuss compressors in detail and with honesty.
The Nardi is one model type you would not wished discussed in detail.

I am considering a small compressor.
Any comments or first hand experience on Bavaria Fun II by IDE compressors? How does it compare to other units in the same class. I am specifically looking for a small output unit I could use for cfm trimix filling rebreather diluent and occasional 80cf bailout cylinders. Thus looking at the single phase 230v version.

In order to give fairness and equality, The Bavaria Fun compressor is the other model, better not discussed in an open forum in detail. What is worth however is giving you the relevant information for you to make an informed choice and for that you need three answers to three questions.

First question for trimix is: What is the Helium "blow-by" rate in LMP for the design at your required working pressure. You may be dissapointed when they tell you what the leak rate to charging rate is.
Alternativly you may be told its only suitable for air and thereby get away without answering the question.

Second question again with trimix is: What is the the heat dissipation rate when using only a 0.5 litres of mineral oil at the highest working pressure you require the thing to fill to. Add to this you need also to state your maximum expected ambiant air temperature for cooling but as your in Europe make it easy and say 25C

Third is the piston diameters and piston stroke: You need this to evaluate the rod loading and compression ratio of the machine with air let alone Trimix, Your told its a 3 stage block with a 0.5 litre oil sump with a tiny 0.05 liter difference between a full oil level and a minimum oil level.

Yet (and here's the kicker) the margin of incline is maximum 5 degrees at full oil level
Error and margin are slim to zero here. But if you buy it then please buy a spirit level to go with it and hope for calm seas if filling on a yacht LOL

Every article I read about buying small compressors confirms my belief that the only small compressors that work and will still be working 20 years from now are the Bauer Junior II and the LW 100.
Everything else requires a friend with a world class machine shop and lots of spare time.

The best way to save money on a compressor for the long term, is to buy the very best new.

If you're still not sure, buy it with a 3 year extended replacement warranty, and treat it very badly for the first 2 and a half years. If it is still working, then do all the services you can think of and start treating it like a first born son. If it died during the 3 years sell the replacement and buy a Bauer.

Michael

Haven't seen any manufacturer specify helium blow by rate for the compressors in this class. Would be nice to know but as many know, all relevant information is not disclosed by the manufacturers. That is one of reasons people like me ask online.
I am planning only stationary use and levelling is not a problem.

Haven't seen any manufacturer specify helium blow by rate for the compressors in this class. Would be nice to know but as many know, all relevant information is not disclosed by the manufacturers. That is one of reasons people like me ask online.
I am planning only stationary use and levelling is not a problem.

You wont get that information because first you need to read the lable, and it says Breathing Air Compressor.
Now for the blow-by rate for an air compressor lets use Michael's belief of the Bauer and L&W models

Compressing just plain Air at the pre set back pressure regulator setting the leak rates are as follows:
For the Utilus II & Capitano II & the new IK100 II block its a 18 to 25 Lir/min lost in blow by compressing plain air
For the Mariner II & new IK 120 II block its worse at 25 to 35 Ltr/min loss in blow-by compressing air lost.

For the Scubaboard forum favorate the Bauer model the K15 its losses are 35 to 45 L/min lost in blow-by
And the all time reason Bauer dont make a helium compressors is the IK12.14 II block lossing a massive 44 to 60 L/min

The reason why we are not told the answers to our questions is because we just dont like the answer were are given.
and our belief in a specific "Best" brand ends up smashed and ruined by practical engineering practice and experience. And the answers to your other questions and the alternative "brands" suggested just gets worse.

I can only offer you two options, the red pill or the blue pill if you like.
Take the red pill and we embrace the often painful truth of engineering reality and recreational scuba.
or remain in a blissfull state of ignorance with only brand name catalogue knowledge and illusion and take the blue.

What you forgot to add is the Air or Helium loss is into the crankcase and at least on Bauers, the crankcase is vented in to the 1st stage.
Loss of efficiency while pumping He - yes.
Loss of He while pumping - no.

My Junior 2 is now 20 years old and has well over 1000 hours of use. Due to the 8 rings on the 3rd stage piston, helium blowby was not something that I noticed pumping He to 330Bar. Recently it has become noticeable and I'm only getting 75LPM of He throughput above 300Bar instead of the normal 100LPM with Air at lower pressures.
That means I'll have to replace the 2nd and 3rd stage valves and 3rd stage piston rings (not too expensive). If I'm out of luck I'll also have to replace the 3rd stage piston and sleeve assy (expensive!!), but them my Junior 2 should have neglegable He blowby for another 10 years.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom