Bayahibe - Dominican Republic - Mini Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterlloyd

Contributor
Reaction score
So living on the west coast of Canada we are limited to charter vacation destinations .
One of the most affordable is Dominican Republic , however word on the street has it there is no diving there .

After further research I discovered Bayahibe on the Caribbean side has some nice shallow diving , right away the flags went up because I usually do not relate shallow diving to healthy reefs , usually hurricane / tourist damage did shallows in 20 years ago .

However being on a budget with the canadian dollar at 79 cents I took the plunge , booked a package with Air Transat all inclusive for the same price I pay for an airline ticket to most dive destinations , I can't lose going in .

Stayed at Be Live Canoa La Romana , a short ways away from Bayahibe .

After research here and on Trip Advisor I went with Diving Dominican Republic with Sharky , great choice .

The Mrs and I had a private boat for five days 2 tank dives .

Sharky picked us up at resort gate , short 5 minute ride to shop , don wetsuits and jump over to the dive boat .

I will get slayed for saying this on Scubaboard but the diving was as good or better than any major Caribbean destination .
The wreck of ST George was much more interesting than the Kittawake or the Russian Freighter I dove last summer .

It was the only dive deeper than 50 feet , the shallow reefs of Bayahibe are almost pristine , very little algae , no visible hurricane type damage I have seen everywhere else , the Sponges , hard and soft corals are huge and healthy .

With so much ambient light the colors are outstanding . No , there is no big life , but it is the same as I saw in Roatan , Bonaire , tons of macro and schools of tropical fish.

The first two minutes of the first dive I saw a huge seahorse , I knew right then this was going to be fun , it was and got better as we progressed down the coast .

Diving with Sharky , Pierre and Godo was perfect , very laid back and do what you like , dives were between 60-90 minutes , usually left due to getting chilled in the 78 degree water .

I do not like to return to Islands as there is too much to see and too little time to keep going back to the same place , I dove Cozumel 35 consecutive trips in a row before I ventured from my certification site .

Even when I really like a place I would rather try something new , however with the direct low cost charters flying out of Vancouver , I will probably return to Bayahibe at least once a year , very special laid back place , but don't tell more than ten of your closest friends , remember Canada , there is no diving in the Dominican Republic ....

I've dived Bayahibe many times and love it. I still have a hard time convincing people that it is worth the trip! I too have heard good things about Sharky but my favourite operator on the island by far is ScubaFun. John has huge, comfortable boats and still takes out small groups. One year my two sons and I were the only divers on a boat that could comfortably hold 20 divers!

Thanks for the report. Yes it is true some divers do not realize that scuba diving in Bayahibe is pretty good. Of course some like to see BIG stuff, this is not an area for that, even though I saw a hammerhead couple time, our clients saw humpback whales few times too. Of course no guarantee. Those that like to see corrals and smaller marine life are always very happy. I am glad you liked the diving here and hope to see you back in the near future

Thanks for the report. Yes it is true some divers do not realize that scuba diving in Bayahibe is pretty good. Of course some like to see BIG stuff, this is not an area for that, even though I saw a hammerhead couple time, our clients saw humpback whales few times too. Of course no guarantee. Those that like to see corrals and smaller marine life are always very happy. I am glad you liked the diving here and hope to see you back in the near future
Sharky , maybe sooner than later , we were delayed 24 hours going back to Vancouver , caused much confusion and connecters missed , we are due for a free trip due to inconvienience , stay tuned, coldwater Lloyd

Back
Top Bottom