BC for my 11 yr old son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubaaaronh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So i am torn on what to buy for my sone. I am looking at some lesser expensive BCs as he will grow out of it probably in 2 years as he is in the growing like a weed stage. He is currently 4'7" and 88 lbs. I am torn between a youth size BC or getting a small which may be a little big but allow some room for growth. Whats everyones thought? And with his height and weight do you think a small would be to big. Problem i am having is none of the shops around me have a small in stock to try and see what the fit would be like.

+1 for BP/W. There are MANY threads about them here, but I really can't think of a reason why a jacket BC would be better for purchase. In the case of someone young, you would have the added advantage of it growing with him...

Check out the Aqualung Rogue, back inflate, at your nearest dive shop that carries this brand. The shop can customize sizing on the shoulder straps, back and waistband. I bought two Rogues with small shoulders, medium back and small waistband that has integrated weights for my two 13 yr olds. It has 35 lbs lift which is more than enough for my boys wearing a 7mm in 55 degrees or just a swimsuit in 80 degrees. It can really grow with them. Happy shopping!

+1 for the Aqualung Rogue. It's very comfortable, padded, and has plenty of spots to attach D-rings or clips if needed. It's very modular and as your son grows, you can switch out certain parts like the shoulder straps and waistband to fit him without having to replace the entire BCD. It's also really good if you're prone to large weight changes or if most BCDs don't fit your body type, which is what my friend has hers for.

I agree with tbone, get a wing and a softplate. A DGX wing and an Oxycheq softplate would make a great combination. You can also get softplates from Mares, Apeks, UTD, and maybe some others.

I was going to recommend the Zeagle Ranger Jr. but I think I like the BP/W idea, too. My son will get certified later this year (10 in Sept.) and I'll be looking for his gear very soon myself. Pretty much everything with the Ranger series is modular so you can essentially custom build it to suit each diver. But maybe not nearly as much as a BP/W. I'm considering building an Oxycheq BP/W for myself.

What's the advantage of the softplate over the standard BP/W? I hear people recommend them, but I never felt that a regular plate was uncomfortable. And it sure is nice to have those 6 lbs of balance right next to your lungs and your center of mass....

What's the advantage of the softplate over the standard BP/W? I hear people recommend them, but I never felt that a regular plate was uncomfortable. And it sure is nice to have those 6 lbs of balance right next to your lungs and your center of mass....

this (price):

upload_2019-7-18_16-5-26.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom